Thread: Screens go black after entering password at log in screen

Beans

Screens go black after entering password at log in screen

Installed Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS and I'm having an issue at the log in screen. The Ubuntu boots just fine but once I enter my password both screens go blank and into low power mode. Laptop still running but I have to do a hard shutdown. Once it starts backup it works the second time. If I open the lid to the laptop it's also blank. I made sure to be running the latest Nvidia Driver. Any suggestions? Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Screens go black after entering password at log in screen

You say both screens go blank. Is this laptop also connected to a monitor? What happens if you load Ubuntu with the monitor not connected to the laptop?

I am curious about this issue because I have just ordered a laptop which I shall use along with my present desktop machine. There will be times when I will want to connect the laptop to the monitor. It will be a new experience for me.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: Screens go black after entering password at log in screen

My laptop is connected to 2 external monitors. Both monitors plus the laptop screen go blank once I enter my password at the log in screen. I fixed the issue for now by allowing it to boot right into the desktop without a password. If that wouldn't have worked then I would have tried disconnecting both external monitors to see what would happen. Maybe there will be a better solution in the future. I don't really need to have it password protected for now.

My GPU is a Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080