Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Lenovo IdeaPad 5 good for easy Ubuntu installation?

Beans

Re: Is Lenovo IdeaPad 5 good for easy Ubuntu installation?

Thanks for all the ideas. But none of them worked. I think the driver is loaded fine. Ubuntu knows its using Intel Iris Xe graphics, they just dont work properly

I tried:
    - oibaf drivers
    - sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    - oem kernel 20.04
    - and with KDE Plasma I tried 60Hz and 90Hz, opengl 2.0, 3.1 and renderx (whatever that is) and all kinds of resolutions

none worked

Beans

In case anyone is still reading.

I think Lenovo IdeaPad 5 has a problem that is solved in kernel 5.15:
    “There is more work to be done, but this avoids the flicker if your display is connected to the non Intel GPU – the typical case where a dual-GPU laptop is connected to an external monitor,”
    source: https://9to5linux.com/collabora-brin...-to-linux-5-15

When 5.15 becomes the standard in Ubuntu, I will give Ubuntu another try.

Btw. If you are desperate: PopOs seems to work best. I only have occasional screen flickering. When I change monitor stuff (resolution, order, etc) than the flickering can become very bad. After a reboot this is gone (a side from the occasional flicker it always has)

Beans

Just to say that I just installed Ubuntu 22.04 on the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ALC05 without any problem. The touchpad works perfectly (the right click is obtained by taping with two fingers, by design). The WIFI works perfectly. It goes in sleep mode when we close the laptop and wake-up when we open it. The external mouse also works fine. The external monitor also worked fine.

I installed it first with the LVM partition option and second with the "Erase disk and use zfs" option and it worked in both cases. I have not checked other options, but I suppose they are also fine. I had to run "sudo grub-mkconfig > ~/grub.cfg" to generate a new content for "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" to get rid of the annoying grub menu at each boot. Actually, it generated the exact same config file less the lines:

menuentry 'UEFI firmware Settings' $menuentry_id_option 'uefi-firmware' {
    fwsetup
    }

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dominic_mayers View Post
    Just to say that I just installed Ubuntu 22.04 on the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ALC05 without any problem
    Sir, may I ask how you have achieved this?

I am trying for 3 days to instal Kubuntu 22.10 on Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ALC05 (82LN005FCK) using bootable USB stick (confirmed to work on other PC) but the USB stick is not even seen by the default boot loader...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12