Thread: KVM and Win 11

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

KVM and Win 11

Someone tried telling me they were having troubles installing Windows 11 retail as a Virtual Machine...

That the install looked at hardare, so with hardware locks on TPM 2.0, and a minimum CPU requirement, that trying to run it on a Virtual Host that doesn't meet those requirements, was not possible, because the Virtual Host can only show through what capabilities it has... and that things could not be emulated, nor visualized for that to happen...

Well, here dispels the myth of that:

See attached screenshot

Code:
    Device Name    WIN11-VM01
    Processor         Intel Xeon E3112xx (sandy Bridge, IBRS update)  2.39 GHz (2 processors)
    Product ID        00330-80000-00000-AA12EB8705EA7
    System Type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen or touch input is not available for this display

Edition Windows 11 Pro
    Version 21H2
    Installed on     10/24/2021
    OS build          22000.194
    Experience       Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.192.0
    And the VIrt Host I did it on:
    Code:
    Host Device: Lenovo Thinkpad T520 type 4242
    Host CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz × 8 
    Hardware TPM: 
    mafoelffen@Mikes-ThinkPad-T520:~$ dmesg | grep -i tpm
    [    0.478370] tpm_tis 00:05: 1.2 TPM (device-id 0x0, rev-id 78)
    mafoelffen@Mikes-ThinkPad-T520:~$ [ -d $(ls -d /sys/kernel/security/tpm* 2>/dev/null | head -1) ] && \ echo "TPM available" || echo "TPM missing"
    TPM available
    mafoelffen@Mikes-ThinkPad-T520:~$ kvm --version
    QEMU emulator version 4.2.1 (Debian 1:4.2-3ubuntu6.18)
    Copyright (c) 2003-2019 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers
    In KVM, for the VM Guest, I am using UEFI w/ SecureBoot, and added a vTPM, before install... There are still a few tricks, but I did not touch the ISO file at all, except to use it through a certain manner.

Packages swtpm and swtpm-utils just got approval in Debian as a package last night... Code to it was updated 6 days ago, for the Debian Packaging. I am still running off the code from 6 months ago and it is running fine.

Here you go to those who have not embraced KVM. The friend who challenged me to this, is now "trying to do this same in ESXi on his below M$ required hardware Host... LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 25th, 2021 at 12:20 AM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: KVM and Win 11

I know I posted this, but the Updates, two days ago were hard on this solution...

2 out of three machines ended up with broken apt systems because of updates. My KVM server was broken by swtpm and swtpm-tools, with unresolved dependency issues. Reconfiguring dpkg and trying to use apt to fix broken packages were unsuccessful. using apt to install/reinstall the two packages failed.

What did work was to remove/purge the two packages... Fix the apt system to finish the system updates. Then later install swtpm and swtpm-tools fresh and clean.

I recommended it indirectly, then it came up with this issue. I thought I better add this, for the just in cases of someone who had read the previous post.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script