Thread: Remove Ubuntu & reinstall Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Remove Ubuntu & reinstall Windows.

Hi all. I have Ubuntu running on three machines & love it. However, I need to remove Ubuntu from a laptop & reinstall Windows. The online advice is very confusing & really does seem extremely complicated. There must be an easy way to do this surely. Could someone please help me out? Thank you.

Beans

Re: Remove Ubuntu & reinstall Windows.

iv'e done this before on my son's pc. it was pretty simple ,just inserted the windows ISO disk and booted from disk (set it in BIOS) and chose wipe and install.
    let the installer take care of the partioning,just wipe all partions and start fresh.
    Last edited by T6&sfpER35%; October 23rd, 2021 at 07:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you considered loading Windows into a virtual machine? This way you keep Linux, but can run Windows for those 1-2 programs where it is still needed.
    There are some caveats with using VMs, but most of those go away on any Core2 Duo CPUs with 6G of RAM or more from 2008 or later. This assumes you aren't planning to do heavy graphics or video editing or gaming, but for nearly any other purpose, using a VM is fine. I know a guy that runs AutoCAD in a VM on his travel laptop, for example.

But there are good reasons to run Windows directly on hardware too, sometimes.

Beans

If you want to simply install windows to use the disk space and remove Ubuntu, it should be as simple as described in post 2. There are a number of sites which make it more convoluted than it is, windows has an option similar to the Ubuntu "erase disk and install ubuntu". Is your drive GPT and is the Ubuntu install UEFI? I would expect windows installer to detect this. THe link below gives a fairly simple explanation and it is a microsoft forum.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-c5bd141eae4d

Beans

Disk formatting is part of the Windows install process. Not an Ubuntu issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu