Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Password In Thunderbird Mail

Beans

Changing Password In Thunderbird Mail

I would appreciate it if somebody could tell me how to change password in Thunderbird mail. I cannot seem to locate where to do so.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Changing Password In Thunderbird Mail

Edit->Preferences
    Under passwords press the 'Saved Passwords' button.

To me the logical location would be under Account Settings.

HTH

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It should be noted that this does not change the password on the mail/imap/pop3 server. Those need to be changed on the server-side.

Beans

Thanks, but now but I am looking at the problem differently.
    I cannot retrieve my email on Thunderbird. I assumed that it was a password problem. I called my provider and they assured me that it was not on their end. Now I see that they are correct. This is the strange part. I have another hard drive with windows. I also cannot retrieve the mail on Thunderbird. I can retrieve the mail on my phone as well as on my tablet. Anybody have an idea what is going on?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    Thanks, but now but I am looking at the problem differently.
    I cannot retrieve my email on Thunderbird. I assumed that it was a password problem. I called my provider and they assured me that it was not on their end. Now I see that they are correct. This is the strange part. I have another hard drive with windows. I also cannot retrieve the mail on Thunderbird. I can retrieve the mail on my phone as well as on my tablet. Anybody have an idea what is going on?

Thanks
    That isn't really any technical data for guesses to the issue. I happened to have an issue with an account on my email server (I've been running corporate mail servers for ... well ... a very long time and the first thing I noticed was that Thunderbird had lost all email for that account. I have multiple accounts and the others were all working. I thought it was an expired password - for some accounts, I force a password change periodically. This has absolutely nothing to do with your situation - mine was a corrupted userid on the server. I ended up grabbing all the msg files for that account and re-injecting them into a newly created account on the server. That fixed the thunderbird access for me. You can't do that.

What you can do is
    • note the EXACT, 100% correct, errors that Thunderbird is displaying. This is one of the few times that an image is useful in these forums.
    • Show your Server connection page ... just blur out the userid/email address. We'll need to see the IMAP/POP settings AND the SMTP settings That 2 different pages.
    • Create a new userid on Ubuntu, login to that other account, run thunderbird and connect it to the same email address/server. If that works, then it is an incompatible thunderbird config back in the original account. Linux is multi-user. Time to use it that way. If the issue persists, then it is either on the entire system or on the email provider's systems. The fact that some other devices aren't having problems tells me it is on your computer and could be due to the thunderbird settings that have been moved forward over time.

Those are just some things to try.

I would find it helpful to see a clear list for the devices, exact email program and what works and what doesn't on each for the account.
    Also, the results of the 3 troubleshooting ideas above.

And, of course, please check your system logs for issues, but thunderbird probably won't write to those. There are probably thunderbird logs somewhere in your HOME. See if you can find those.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just a thought (although your answer almost certainly will follow the logical path of #5). Fire up the Evolution email client on your machine and configure that for your email account - if your problem is Thunderbird specific then your Evolution client should be working 100% ok.

Beans

Having a limited amount of knowledge, I would like to uninstall Thunderbird. What is the best of of doing this? I can then either reinstall it or try another app such as Eudora. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Having a limited amount of knowledge, I would like to uninstall Thunderbird. What is the best of of doing this? I can then either reinstall it or try another app such as Eudora. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
    Find it in the software manager application and uninstall it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks
    Best? That depends. Use whatever package manager you normally use.
    I would type
    Code:
    sudo apt remove --purge thunderbird*
    or to reinstall it
    Code:
    sudo apt install  --reinstall thunderbird
    I have 3 packages on my system related to thunderbird
    Code:
    $ dpkg -l thunder*
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name                      Version                           Architecture Description
    +++-=========================-=================================-============-========================================>
    ii  thunderbird               1:78.13.0+build1-0ubuntu0.20.04.2 amd64        Email, RSS and newsgroup client with int>
    un  thunderbird-gnome-support <none>                            <none>       (no description available)
    ii  thunderbird-locale-ru     1:78.13.0+build1-0ubuntu0.20.04.2 amd64        Russian language pack for Thunderbird
    Most people would only have the first 2.

Beans

The ISP finally conceded that they changed some setting. They said that a technician will get back to me in several days. For what I am paying, I should not have to wait that long. I tried fixing it myself, but could not do so. In the past, whenever I put an email app in, it would automatically do the configuring. I tried to do it manually in both Thunderbird and Evolution with no success.

Thank you for listening

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast