Thread: Shutdown Without Display

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Shutdown Without Display

I have a NUC10i5FNKN running Ubuntu 20.4. When the NUC is attached to a display and I press the on/off button the NUC shuts down without me having to do anything else.
    I want to use the NUC without a display. The problem is, it seems that without a display, pressing the on/off button won't shut the NUC down. I am told that if I use a HDMI dummy plug which tricks the NUC into thinking there is a display, it will close down. I also don't want to hold the on/off button for the extra time to cause a hard shutdown.
    Is there a solution to shutting down the NUC without using a dummy plug and by pressing the on/off button?
    Thanks in advance and cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Shutdown Without Display

ssh in from another system and run:
    sudo shutdown -h now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks. I'll keep this up my sleeve but was really hoping for a way of simply using on/off button .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by suffring View Post
    Thanks. I'll keep this up my sleeve but was really hoping for a way of simply using on/off button .
    I figured you had tried pushing a button already and it wasn't working.
    Have you setup the logind.conf file under /etc somewhere already? It has settings for all sorts of actions. You can read more about that in the manpage.
    man logind.conf has the details. Probably interesting in the HandlePowerKey=, HandleSuspendKey=, HandleHibernateKey=, HandleLidSwitch=, HandleLidSwitchDocked= options and it is worth reading the next section about Inhibited buttons. Because the version of logind on your system could be different from mine, definitely check your local manpage - don't google it. The one actually on your box is the reference to be used. You can use xman if you want a GUI, but the data provided is identical.

Perhaps it isn't calling the correct routine and using an alternate method would work. Then, you can hook up a button to call the routine that works? If the one above doesn't work, there are a few others. In theory, they should all be directed to the same lower-level call with lots of ugly switches, but I'd rather avoid that unless it is actually required.

Perhaps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you.
    In the meantime the HDMI dummy plug has arrived and works perfectly. I have had a look at your suggestion and the answer seems to be in there somewhere but may take a bit of trial and error for me - with my level of knowledge - to get to it.
    Thanks again and cheers