Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Samba configuration help

Beans

Re: Samba configuration help

Isn't NFS linux only? I'm sharing with Windows stations.
    Will using NFS require relearning a whole new program? Took me a good while to get a hang of Samba, lol.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

NFS is a hassle from Windows clients. I haven't used it since the 1990s and it was always a 3rd party tool on Windows. I think MSFT added it for Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate Windows desktops, but buried it in some uninstalled options. A few people in these forums have set it up. Just not me.

I attempted NFS as a client on a Win7 Ultimate virtual machine setup, but never got it working. I didn't try too hard, as it wasn't on a system that really needed it. I prefer NFS since it honors Unix-native file ownership, groups, permissions, xattrs and ACLs, unlike Samba. But each of us have different levels of "hassle" with which we are willing to put up.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/conn...ver-50773.html makes it seem easy.
    https://ostoday.org/linux/how-do-i-a...-to-linux.html is another guide.

Beans

How does Samba not honor file ownership and permissions? It seems to do so on all the testing I've done.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fjl05 View Post
    How does Samba not honor file ownership and permissions? It seems to do so on all the testing I've done.

sudo chown
    chmod
    chgrp

Try any of those over samba/cifs mounted storage and see that they don't work. If you are mainly Windows-user, you'd likely never notice. If you actually "use" permissions in a mixed way like teams do, it will be painful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    sudo chown
    chmod
    chgrp

Try any of those over samba/cifs mounted storage and see that they don't work. If you are mainly Windows-user, you'd likely never notice. If you actually "use" permissions in a mixed way like teams do, it will be painful.
    I found that to be true when mounting NTFS, exFAT or FAT32 drives which in my testing had nothing to do with samba but instead with the mounted drives themselves. But if I stick to EXT4 I end up having no problems using the commands you mentioned on mounted drives. So I'll be sure to only be using EXT4 partitions for file sharing drives.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fjl05 View Post
    I found that to be true when mounting NTFS, exFAT or FAT32 drives which in my testing had nothing to do with samba but instead with the mounted drives themselves. But if I stick to EXT4 I end up having no problems using the commands you mentioned on mounted drives. So I'll be sure to only be using EXT4 partitions for file sharing drives.
    Sorry I wasn't clear.

If you mount any storage over CIFS/SAMBA, then those commands do not work THRU THE MOUNT from the client machine to the shared storage. The protocol doesn't support it. This is one reason why using NFS rather than CIFS/Samba between Unix systems that share storage over the LAN is useful. There are others.

If you access the underlying storage while logged into the server sharing the CIFS/SAMBA network mounts, then only native Linux/Posix storage will support those commands, as you've seen.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234