Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Installation from DVD ISO failing?

Beans

New Installation from DVD ISO failing?

I've tried both Ubuntu & Ubuntu Studio ISO's and get this issue. Hard to believe a problem right from bare installation / booting from optical drive? What can be done? Others having this issue? Have tried other installation modes (OEM install)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: New Installation from DVD ISO failing?

Lets start at the beginning: where did you get the ISO, did you hashcheck it, how did you create the DVD, did you media check it?

Beans

Others having this issue?
    iv'e done countless installs with DVD only (never uses USB) and never had a problem . I also never checksum the ISO ( i know , i'm bad)
    i use Xfburn to create ISO .and set boot sequence to DVD drive 1st,obviously.
    Last edited by 3nd; October 20th, 2021 at 07:32 AM.
    xubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I wonder why an install is trying to start snap. Doesn't make sense to me.

Beans

Downloaded iso from official web-sites (tried Ubuntu & Studio both), burned with k3b - did not check (I never do either) never had an issue with anything like this before. I have snap issues on the current installation I have too (but can't believe that could be related from a direct book to disk. Nobody else having this issue?

Beans
    Distro

Exactly at which point do you get these errors?
    Right after power on/BIOS boot?
    After the blue pre-installation screen?
    After the full install?

The first line on your screen shot is harmless, but the errors are strange. You say "bare install". Did this machine have Windows on it before or is it virgin?

Beans

I have a Ubuntu 20.04 install on there that has some snap issue that prevents upgrading as normal so I figured save time instead of mesing around fixing that I'd just do a fresh install. The error happens fairly quickly after the dvd has booted before any gui installation screens.

Beans

at installation when it ask do you want to do this or that (wipe everything and install fresh or something else etc. ) i can't remember the exact options , choose wipe and install.
    did you do that?
    xubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbartosh2 View Post
    I have a Ubuntu 20.04 install on there that has some snap issue that prevents upgrading as normal so I figured save time instead of mesing around fixing that I'd just do a fresh install. The error happens fairly quickly after the dvd has booted before any gui installation screens.
    I seriously doubt that your DVD is actually booting. This more likely comes from your existing install.
    Check your BIOS settings.
    EDIT: just tried an installation DVD myself. After some seconds of takataka, a language selection screen appears. Now I'm on Lubuntu which has a different installer (Calamares), but there's no big difference to the Ubuntu installer. You're not booting from the DVD, but from your hard disk.
    Last edited by ml9104; October 23rd, 2021 at 09:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I would validate the ISO for starters (https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...erify-ubuntu#0)

An invalid ISO off by a single bit will take hours-weeks of wasted time, yet the validation takes seconds... I think of it as very cheap insurance.

I'm writing hundreds of ISOs to media per annum, and in my experience the write of ISO is the most common failure (though I'm thinking of USB media where I experience 5-8% failure; thumb-drives being cheap media). If the media didn't validate itself - I'd not trust it.

Note: I've not used CD/DVD media in a long time... except for minor testing in the groovy [20.10] cycle. All I recall was that it was super-slow and required immense patience.

If I couldn't boot media on one box; I'd test the media on another box (or usually two); if it fails to boot & validate successfully on any - it's bad media. If it boots & validates on the other boxes then it's valid media & the issue is specific to the box you're trying to install on.

PS: Is your drive functional? I've rarely written DVD media these days; but I've had to replace 3 DVD writers the last 4 times I've needed to actually write something (the drives are getting old & failures are common now; thankfully I've still got a pile of spare drives). This may not be your issue, but I'd check it out given experiences I've had last 18 months with CD/DVD drives

FYI: @ml9104, you'll find the Snap Daemon starting on Lubuntu media too; all Ubuntu ISOs have it as it's on the Ubuntu base system that needs to be there. Lubuntu has no snaps; but the [mandated] infrastructure is present. Ubiquity's replacement installer will be a snap (Lubuntu has no intention of switching from `calamares` though)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast