Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to upgrade from 18.04 to get to 21.04...what hurdles will confront me?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: I want to upgrade from 18.04 to get to 21.04...what hurdles will confront me?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    LTS releases can upgrade to next LTS, or the next STS.
    It appears this rule was changed some time ago. Now it is: LTS releases can upgrade to the next LTS or to the next supported release. As 20.10 is no longer supported, 20.04 can upgrade to 21.04. As upgrades to the next LTS are only opened about 3 months after release, which is when the STS before that reaches end of life, the rule can even be stated as: Every release allows upgrades to the next supported release. So, currently you can go from 18.04 to 20.04, from 20.04 to 21.04 and from 21.04 to 21.10. When a release reaches end of life, it's upgrade path gets frozen, even if the upgrade target goes end of life too.

You can expect the upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04 in July 2022.

Beans

Re: I want to upgrade from 18.04 to get to 21.04...what hurdles will confront me?

It appears this rule was changed some time ago. Now it is: LTS releases can upgrade to the next LTS or to the next supported release.
    It does say this in the line after the one you quoted. Please reread:
    LTS releases can upgrade to next LTS, or the next STS.
    Both your current version and target version for the upgrade must be still supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Maybe you intended the same thing as I, but I interpreted it differently. To me, your statement reads as: "From an LTS release, you can upgrade to the next STS release as long as that's supported. When that STS release reaches end of life, no upgrade is available until the upgrade to the next LTS release is offered." My statement is: "From an LTS release, you can upgrade to the next STS release as long as that's supported. When that STS release reaches end of life, the upgrade target changes to the STS release after that."

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

FYI:

As already stated; the two intended & fully-supported release steps are

(1) via every release
    (2) from one LTS (eg. 18.04) to the next LTS after the .1 has been released; ie. 20.04.1 is out.

So you need to wait longer than after 22.04 is released, but a few months after that when 22.04.1 has been released the gates will open for upgrade (without the `-d` option already mentioned).

Also note: You can upgrade from one LTS (eg. 20.04), to the next non-EOL release. Given 20.10 is EOL, and you can't upgrade to it, thus the upgrade tool will allow you to release-upgrade to the next non-LTS which currently is 21.04 (which was mentioned as being possible). That is outside of fully-supported upgrade paths, however it is CI (continuous integration) tested, and there is a QA testcase for it, though only a fraction of the QA-testing effort goes into it, thus it's usually not advised. This option was offered to you (ie. 20.04 to 21.04 currently, 20.04 to 21.10 soon), so whilst its possible and supported; it's more problematic than upgrade via all releases, or LTS to next LTS.

Refer https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/jammy...schedule/23906 for schedule.. No 20.04.1 date is listed, but it'll come months later (6 August for 20.04.1), ie. it's not April without using the `-d` or development option.

You can upgrade via re-install, which is great for desktops. It's a testcase for Lubuntu which I love, as it allows me to switch from testing one release, to another & have my favorite music player (not installed by default) & music ready to go as I evaluate the re-install (and I can QA-test hirsute (21.04), focal (or 20.04.3 most recently), impish (21.10) & back to focal etc.. It's not perfect (QA-tested only with Ubuntu repository software, and with some jumps, eg. prior to 20.04 Qt4 & python2 software was removed due EOL means error messages can be expected for some packages that users find disconcerting) but I still love it.

fyi: I may have used it in QA-tested with 18.04.6 recently, but I was testing bionic much for that release as flavors had already reached EOL with bionic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Maybe you intended the same thing as I, but I interpreted it differently...."
    You are right. You can skip over a STS release when starting with the LTS. So I see my 20.04 is offering a direct upgrade to 21.04, but not to 21.10 - even though 21.10 is also supported. I assume when 21.04 is EOL, it will offer 20.04 direct upgrade to 21.10. Very nice.

I edited the original rule 2 in post 3 with "next" replaced by "first supported"

Thank you for the updated information. Some of us are still stuck in the past.
    Last edited by Dennis N; October 21st, 2021 at 08:06 PM. Reason: new information

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12