Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Install Ubuntu over Ubuntu game pack

Beans

Install Ubuntu over Ubuntu game pack

I have Ubuntu game pack installed on my laptop and I dont like it,so I am trying to install Ubuntu 20.04.20.According to the instructions I can just place it in the DVD drive and it will install.I have tried this and nothing happens.All I get is Ubuntu 20.04.20 flashes up in the top centre of the screen and thats it,nothing more.How can I install Ubuntu ? as I really dont like the game pack but I had Lubuntu installed before and I did like that.
    One more thing that might help.My laptop is a Lenovo G 40-30 and it is very hard to get into the BIOS to force it to boot from CD/DVD.
    Any help would be much appreciated,thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Install Ubuntu over Ubuntu game pack

Quote Originally Posted by pussekatt View Post
    My laptop is a Lenovo G 40-30 and it is very hard to get into the BIOS to force it to boot from CD/DVD
    In order to boot into a live session/installer of the Ubuntu family, you have to set the boot order of the DVD or USB.
    This link offers information for your PC https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht500216

Beans

Thank you for your quick reply.I tried that Lenovo site before going on this forum.They reccomend using the special reset button/F2 or Fn and F2.I have tried all of these and this PC is VERY hard to get into the BIOS ( as I mentioned in my post ) apart from that though.The Ubuntu site says that all I need to do is insert the DVD and I get the option to install or try but as I said above I dont get this option ?!
    Is there some way that I can get the PC to load the DVD after I am in Games pack ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most Linux installers only work from a boot from the install disk, so there isn't a way to force install from a different release (whatever Ubuntu game pack is?). I've never heard of Ubuntu game pack before, BTW.

I wouldn't use a DVD. I'd use a flash USB drive or SDHC flash storage to put an ISO onto (it can't just be copied onto an existing file system), then I'd use the boot menu from the computer BIOS to have it boot from whatever flash storage I inserted. sudo cp /path/to/ubuntu-xx.yy.iso /dev/sdz is an example command. The "sdz" part needs to be correct for the flash storage to be used for the installer. Do not point it at any HDD or SSD where you plan to install. That would cause a very bad day.

BTW, I have a 7 yr old system that doesn't like to let me into the BIOS too. Usually takes 5-10 attempts for the key to be registered before it just boots into the default OS on the disk. I have a few systems here and only that 1 has the issue and in 30 yrs dealing with computers, this single machine is the only one with the problem that I can recall ... well ... that was still booting at all. I have replacement for the guts of that system, just need some new RAM before it can be swapped out for a new motherboard, new cpu. Hopefully today I'll get to pick up the last missing parts.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 26th, 2021 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added cp command example and warning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How did you install Ubuntu Game Pack? How did you install Lubuntu? Or, did someone else do it for you?

https://ualinux.com/en/news/ubuntu-g...-running-games

We need to do more than copy the Ubuntu ISO image to a DVD disc. We need to burn it to create a bootable DVD disc that will load Ubuntu.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/burn-a-...etting-started

If we do not burn the ISO image to the DVD then the OS will simply see that there is a DVD disc in the DVD drive and register it as available for the user to access through the file manager. This will happen even if we have correctly burned the ISO image to the DVD disc and then put the DVD disc into the DVD drive whilst still running the original operating system. This is what I think that you are doing.

It is not possible to install an operating system over an existing operating system while we are running the existing operating system. We shutdown the operating system and power off. We put the DVD disc in the DVD drive and power back on and if the BIOS has been set to look for an operating system on the DVD drive before looking for an operating system on a hard drive then the Ubuntu live session will load.

It is true that the official instructions do make some assumptions about the knowledge of the potential Ubuntu user but they do say: "Restart the computer" in addition to "Put the Ubuntu DVD into your optical/DVD drive." If the BIOS is not set to look for an operating system on a DVD drive first, then your machine will load Ubuntu Games Pack and that operating system will not and cannot load the Ubuntu live session. This, on reflection, I think is what is happening for you.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Assuming you have installed Ubuntu Games Pack in UEFI mode and that you can access a terminal, you could try:-
    Code:
    sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup

Beans

Yes,this laptop that I am using is a real pain to get into the BIOS.Sounds like the trouble you had.The problem is also that it takes about 3 minutes for Ubuntu Game pack to load before I can try a restart and try to enter the BIOS again,very time consuming,thats why I was hoping to install Ubuntu from the DVD

Beans

I burnt the Ubuntu DVD to disk.
    I installed Lubuntu alongeside Windows just from putting the DVD in the drive thats why I was hoping to do the same with Ubuntu.
    The thing is I liked Lubuntu but I thought it was too light so I installed the Ubuntu game pack but that is much too slow.I have now decided to go with the full Ubuntu instilation which is what I am trying to do here.

Beans

Thanks,I can do all that you suggest and I will try what you say tomorrow.Will let you know how I get on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do Warranty FRU for Lenovo, Dell and HP... hitting F2 repeating on boot will get you to the BIOS setup. BUT...

What you really need to do is on boot, keep hitting the F12 key will bring up the temp Boot Menu, so you can select an alternative media to boot from. I would create a USB Key to install from. DVD? What model Lenovo do you have and how old?

Me too: What is "Ubuntu Game Pack?"

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast