Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Install Ubuntu over Ubuntu game pack

Beans

Re: Install Ubuntu over Ubuntu game pack

My Lenovo is a G40 and its about 5 years old ( it came with Windows 8.1 installed ) I will definately try F12.I have been trying the "One Touch"reset but it only works sometimes.
    Ubuntu Gamepack is from a Russian developer.It has Ubuntu 20.04 installed and all the software you need for playing games,eg Play on Lynux,Wine,Wine tricks etc.The main problem is that it is Sooooooo slow.It takes 3 minutes just to boot ( thats another reason I am having so much trouble getting into the BIOS ) 10 minutes to reboot 3 times,I get bored to tears.
    Anyway,what I want to do is install Ubuntu 20.04 with only a couple of programes eg Dosbox and about 3 emulators and use the rest for learning Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Boots on modern hardware should take 10-50 seconds.
    A few systems here:
    Code:
    # ##############[ 40TB of storage, no SSD; 20K passmarks ]##############
    $ systemd-analyze 
    Startup finished in 5.049s (kernel) + 38.435s (userspace) = 43.484s
    graphical.target reached after 38.431s in userspace

# ##############[ KVM Host w/  SSD & 1TB storage; 13K passmarks ]##############
    $ systemd-analyze 
    Startup finished in 9.212s (kernel) + 43.249s (userspace) = 52.462s
    graphical.target reached after 14.111s in userspace

# ##############[ KVM Host w/13TB of storage, no SSD; 2.4K passmarks ]##############
    $ systemd-analyze
    Startup finished in 40.694s (kernel) + 1min 10.501s (userspace) = 1min 51.196s
    graphical.target reached after 1min 10.487s in userspace
    The first two systems are Ryzen 5s.
    The last one is a 1st generation Core i5 - 11 yrs old and has 2 RAID1 arrays. This system doesn't actually have a working GPU.

Something seems really wrong with "Ubuntu Game Pack".

My 20.04 desktop runs inside a virtual machine on the 2nd system above.
    Code:
    $ systemd-analyze
    Startup finished in 2.367s (kernel) + 5.170s (userspace) = 7.538s 
    graphical.target reached after 5.145s in userspace
    As you can see, it boots crazy fast, but it skips nearly all hardware checks since only virtual hardware is provided. The only aspect that might be considered "slow" is the virtual GPU - which uses QXL/SPICE. For non-gaming GPU work, it is plenty fast. However, TuxRacer can bring the graphics system to be slow.

If you'd like to know more about systemd-analyze, there's the manpage. It has other options that are useful. In general, on poorly setup system, a boot to login longer than 1 minute isn't something to expect. If you have that, there is lots of junk in the startup that just isn't needed/wanted.

BTW, it is safe to reboot using buttons while the grub screen is displayed. After that, we need to wait for the OS, login, then use sudo shutdown -r now for a clean reboot. Something is less clean when using sudo reboot, though I don't know what exactly. Just that reboot is way too quick, so I know it doesn't do the same clean shutdown of processes, files, logs, before completing.

And lastly, be certain you patch at least weekly. That's
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    This will get new kernels, which is where most hardware support comes. It is possible to get newer kernels, but not recommended for someone new. Stick with those provided by Canonical's repos.
    Every few weeks, run
    Code:
    sudo apt autoremove
    sudo apt autoclean
    If you want a system that always boots, don't automate these steps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just watched this ... gaming on Linux with Pop! OS. It's from Linus Tech Tips (3 months old), which is mostly about high-end gaming and less about Linux, but this episode is 100% Linux gaming.
    https://youtu.be/_Ua-d9OeUOg
    Get ready to pause - he goes way too fast. No VM. No passthru. Looks to be all point-n-click. I think much of the ease has to do with the OS he selected and having newer versions than I have. That's on me. I'm not ready to run 20.04 on hardware yet.

Beans

@ tea for one I entered that code you suggested in the terminal and it looks like it could work,but after entering the code the terminal asks me for my password.As there is only the wife and myself and the wife is not interested in computers,I dont use a password,so I am stuck at that point.

Beans

I know that Ubunto Game Pack takes much too long to load ( 3 minutes and 2 minutes to shutdown ) thats why,
    1 - I want to uninstall it
    2 - I want to install Ubuntu and set it up myself
    3 - Thats why its taking me so long,because,just 3 restarts will take about 15 minutes.
    I had a virus on my Windows PC once that slowed my PC down,but no where as slow as Ubuntu game pack.

Beans

I just watched that link you posted and I am impressed.I am trying to change to Linux because I have had it with MS and their pathetic ways.After watching that video I am going to look into Pop os.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by pussekatt View Post
    @ tea for one I entered that code you suggested in the terminal and it looks like it could work,but after entering the code the terminal asks me for my password.As there is only the wife and myself and the wife is not interested in computers,I dont use a password,so I am stuck at that point.
    Your installation of Ubuntu Game Pack did not require a login password?
    That seems unusual.

Try the command without sudo and, if it fails, please post the exact error message.

Have you tried the suggestion by MAFoElffen from post 10?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pussekatt View Post
    I just watched that link you posted and I am impressed.I am trying to change to Linux because I have had it with MS and their pathetic ways.After watching that video I am going to look into Pop os.
    Don't be too impressed unless you have the same hardware.

He was probably running a Core i9 w/ 64G of RAM and nvidia 3060 GPU and 2TB 4x NVMe storage. The important part is that someone, somewhere, is running Linux and gaming. BTW, it isn't me.

Also, when replying, please quote a bit of the message you are responding to - otherwise we can't always tell.

Beans

The Game pack did need a password but all I did when setting up the OS was hit enter when asked for a password.So,when that code you gave me asked for a password,I just pressed enter but it would not accept that ?!

Beans

Success.Thank you all for all your input.I have learnt some very usefull things in this thread that im sure will help me in the future.
    I manager to install Ubuntu 20.04.I switched of my laptop and tried the "1 button reset,for the 10th time" and it worked,so I have finally managed to get rid of Ubuntu game pack,what a terribly slow piece of software.
    Now,as I get more into Linux/Ubuntu I am sure you will see more questions from me on these forums.
    So,thank you all again,very much.Your help and advice was much appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast