Thread: Chopy & poor performance 21.04 vs 21.10 - Dell i3 2nd Gen

Beans

Chopy & poor performance 21.04 vs 21.10 - Dell i3 2nd Gen

Hello,

I started my Linux Desktop journey to save and reuse older PC hardware which are no longer relevant or priority to Microsoft and Ubuntu served me well.

On this particular Laptop, which is my daily driver for productivity and entertainment, I was running Ubuntu 21.04 for couple of months. Following are my details,

System :- Dell Vostro 2520
    Processor :- Intel Core i3 2328M
    RAM :- (2x2) 4GB DDR3
    GPU :- Intel iGPU
    HDD :- 32GB SanDisk Sata SSD (OS Drive) / 64GB SD Card as external storage
    OS :- Ubuntu Desktop Clean Installation (no mods) - 21.04 and then 21.10

Ubuntu 21.04 was running flawlessly, no graphics stutter or laggy behavior. App opening times were really fast and general system navigation never gave any feeling of any lag what's so ever. However, recently I saw Ubuntu 21.10 being released and at first I went with system upgrade path.

Problem started after the successful upgrade. System performance under 21.10 have taken a major hit. App opening times have increased dramatically, system gives stutter every now and then. Even general system navigation feels laggy at times. At first I thought to re-installation of the OS, this time clean installation by formatting the OS drive completely but there too the issues persists.

All these (21.10) observations are in comparison with Ubuntu Desktop 21.04 on same machine.

Its not unusable by any mean but performance has taken a heavy hit for my system. I wonder, am I missing something, like driver or such?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Chopy & poor performance 21.04 vs 21.10 - Dell i3 2nd Gen

If it is working why did you upgrade? The non LTS releases are in a way betas in preparation for the next LTS, so not surprising that they are kind of hits and misses.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by naxal View Post
    Ubuntu 21.04 was running flawlessly, no graphics stutter or laggy behavior. App opening times were really fast and general system navigation never gave any feeling of any lag what's so ever. However, recently I saw Ubuntu 21.10 being released and at first I went with system upgrade path.
    Problem started after the successful upgrade. System performance under 21.10 have taken a major hit. App opening times have increased dramatically, system gives stutter every now and then. Even general system navigation feels laggy at times. At first I thought to re-installation of the OS, this time clean installation by formatting the OS drive completely but there too the issues persists.
    All these (21.10) observations are in comparison with Ubuntu Desktop 21.04 on same machine.
    Its not unusable by any mean but performance has taken a heavy hit for my system. I wonder, am I missing something, like driver or such?
    Thanks.
    I have a computer unit running in Linux Ubuntu 18.04 Operating System LTS (Long Term Support) for a quite sometime now. It was awesome and I haven't upgraded it to the latest release because its still running smoothly but my Linux Ubuntu System is always up to date until now. I already have 2 more years left before my Linux Ubuntu 18.04 Operating System became unsupported so I grab to use of it before it runs out of support. I always hear/read this saying here in this community that "New and shiny doesn't mean that it is good!" So, I apply it here and here I am now, so far my two computer units still running smoothly until now with Linux Ubuntu 18.04 Operating System LTS (Long Term Support) installed. Thanks to the developer of Linux Ubuntu. They help a lot. So, Good luck and welcome to Linux world.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Did you not consider Ubuntu (or flavour) 20.04 LTS?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08
    So, Good luck and welcome to Linux world.
    Thank you for welcome, community support is indeed fast and on point with Linux

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122
    If it is working why did you upgrade? The non LTS releases are in a way betas in preparation for the next LTS, so not surprising that they are kind of hits and misses.
    "New and shiny doesn't mean that it is good!"
    Actually the website got me confused, didn't understood the stuff, specially this LTS logic as coming from Windows platform where I never touched BETA channel releases. The website recommends 20.04 LTS for Server and shows 21.10 as latest Desktop release.

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one
    Did you not consider Ubuntu (or flavour) 20.04 LTS?
    Yes, I do use 20.04 LTS but that's with my Home Server Project (running NextCloud on top of Ubuntu Server 20.04 Min). As I wrote above, the Ubuntu official website got me confused.

Thank you all for clearing some doubt.

One thing I myself can understand or rather pin pointing, Many apps, like for example FireFox, aren't running natively with 21.10, where as in 21.04, it was. With 21.10 a lot of stuff is with Snap. My i3 2nd Gen mobile unit isn't playing nice it with I guess.