Thread: issue with smb share access from ubuntu - packages held back after 20.04 upgrade

Beans

Question issue with smb share access from ubuntu - packages held back after 20.04 upgrade

Any ideas on how I should fix this issue, which appeared after I upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04? I'm not very savvy with raw package management. I appear to have previously (while on 18.04) tried to use a third party repo to solve access to newer python versions.

I'm guessing that this was present in my sources with bionic during the 20.04 upgrade.
    Code:
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/deadsnakes/ppa/ubuntu

Code:
    ~$ sudo apt upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
      gdb gir1.2-peas-1.0 libpeas-1.0-0 libsmbclient libwbclient0 samba-libs
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.

If I try to upgrade these they complain about python3.8 packages as below:

Code:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     libpython3.8 : Depends: libpython3.8-stdlib (= 3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.1) but 3.8.12-1+bionic1 is to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by fr33z0n3r; October 19th, 2021 at 01:54 PM.

Beans

Re: issue with a few packages held back after 20.04 upgrade

Well it looks like you have installed some packages from bionic and it breaks compatibility. What I don't get is how does bionic have python 3.8.12, do you use a ppa for bionic for some reasons?

Beans

I had come from bionic. And yes, I think some python script required 3.8+ so this 3rd party repo ppa was the only option I understood.

deadsnakes ppa in particular

Beans

You should use ppa-purge to purge the deadsnake ppa then your problem will be resolved. If you need a different version of python use something like conda, it is a always a bad idea to mess with system's python.

Beans

That has left me with a few packages still. I can't recall if there was another source I added in that might do something related to SMB. From the list I can see of disabled sources, none of them ring a bell.

I've run autoremove already

Code:
    ~$ sudo apt upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      gir1.2-gtksource-4 libamtk-5-0 libamtk-5-common libavdevice57 libavfilter6 libavformat57 libavresample3 libdc1394-22 libfdk-aac1 libluajit-5.1-2 libluajit-5.1-common libmbedcrypto1 libmbedcrypto3
      libmbedtls10 libmbedx509-0 libmysofa0 libopenal-data libopenal1 libpostproc54 libsndio7.0 libswscale4 libtepl-4-0
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages have been kept back:
      libsmbclient libwbclient0 samba-libs
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
    Last edited by fr33z0n3r; October 17th, 2021 at 12:35 AM.

Beans

I found this post, and the user said they performed the following. I have just done this for my 3.8 version and it got me past the dependencies issues.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1066...grade-to-ubunt

Any particular concerns with performing this fix?

Code:
    sudo dpkg --remove --force-depends python3.8 python3.8-minimal libpython3.8-minimal libpython3.8-stdlib
    sudo apt-get install python3.8 python3.8-minimal libpython3.8-minimal libpython3.8-stdlib

I've still not rebooted since making this change. But there are no longer any package update issues listed.

Beans

original issue fixed but smb share access still neeeded to be fixed (solved)

That last change did fix the broken packages shown,but didn't fix my ultimate issue - which is that SMB share access was fully broken. As it turns out the issues above had led to uninstallation or breakage of some SMB related libraries.

This post has my fix, which was to reinstall gvfs-backends and reboot

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1038...gvfsd-smb-file

fix:

Code:
      sudo apt install --reinstall gvfs-backends
    Last edited by fr33z0n3r; October 19th, 2021 at 01:55 PM.