Thread: Ubuntu 21.10 Installation Failed to Find SSD Partition

Beans

Ubuntu 21.10 Installation Failed to Find SSD Partition

I have a MSI GS66 laptop with Nvidia RTX3060. It has dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 21.04. I would like to reinstall the Ubuntu partition to 21.10. I downloaded Ubuntu 21.10 installation iso file and created a bootable usb flash by using Rufus tool. Then I logged into Windows 10 and had the Ubuntu 21.04 installation partition deleted. I rebooted the laptop to start the installation. However in the installation wizard it didn't show any installation type. If I clicked Install Now to install Ubuntu, it showed the following errors: "No root file system. No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu." Fast boot was disabled. Something must be broken in Ubuntu 21.10 installation process as I had no such issue when I installed Ubuntu 21.04 on the same laptop. I left 600 GB SSD for Ubuntu. The installation wizard failed to find such partition.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 17th, 2021 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Title changed. I meant Ubuntu 21.04 and 21.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu 21.10 Installation Failed to Find SSD Partition

Ubuntu 20.10 is now unsupported (end of life).

Did you mean Ubuntu 21.10?
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 17th, 2021 at 09:11 PM.

Beans

Use the Something Else option and in the Installation Type window you need to select the partition on which you had your previous install of Ubuntu. In the lower left part of that window you will see Change, click on that and you will get the Edit partition window which will give you several options. One of these is Mount point. Click the down arrow and you will see several options. The first one should be the symbol for root "/: so click that and proceed. Failing to do this is the reason you see the "no root filesystem is defined" error. Scroll about half way down the page at the link below to see a graphical image of this.

https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubun...ows-dual-boot/
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 17th, 2021 at 09:12 PM.

Beans

Yes. Sorry for the typo. It is Ubuntu 21.10.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 17th, 2021 at 09:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by airbot View Post
    Then I logged into Windows 10 and had the Ubuntu 21.04 installation partition deleted.
    Having deleted the target partition, then the installer would not be able to install into a non-existent partition.
    You have to create a partition and then select it so that the installer can proceed.
    yancek's link displays Create Ubuntu Root Partition

I think that your difficulty arose because you deleted the original Ubuntu partition when you could have over-written it with a fresh installation.

Make sure that you have booted in the correct mode (probably UEFI if you already have Windows 10)
    Info here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 17th, 2021 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added comment about UEFI

Beans

A late reply, but might be useful to someone: The issue is that the Ubuntu installer is not seeing your NVMe at all (not just the partition). Change the Intel VMD option in the Bios (can't remember if it needs to be enabled or disabled, but anyway just flip the switch to the other option) and Ubuntu installer will start seeing your NVMe hard drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just a hint:

Please run the Ubuntu Forum's 'system -info" script in my signature line from the Installer LiveCD environment to show people what state your system is in currently, so they are not assuming or guessing on what it 'may be' Better to go off the current 'facts'...

That will confirm what: Is seen, is configured and there on your system... as well as what your system actually is. There is a lot of unknown factors that do matter in your problem, and I don't think anyone has asked 'the questions' into dig into those yet.

*On the last recommend/previous post, hold off on that, as it might make your storage unreadable by flipping that.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 21st, 2021 at 08:49 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags