Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firefox won't run in 21.10 under tigervnc-server

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Firefox won't run in 21.10 under tigervnc-server

Quote Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
    I performed do-release-upgrade many times. I went from 18.04 to 20.04 to 21.04 to 21.10 . It broke between 21.04 and 21.10 .
    I believe firefox got installed as a snap package.

Is there a workaround, short of rolling back to 21.04 ?
    My upgraded systems (Ubuntu, Lubuntu & Xubuntu) all still have `firefox` only as a deb package.

Flavors don't switch from deb to snap, only Ubuntu Desktop installs too. However Desktop installs that upgraded pre-beta or in the first few days of the beta also didn't switch which is why my Ubuntu Desktop install doesn't have it.

Ubuntu 21.10 systems can use either; default is snap for Ubuntu Desktop, but default is deb package for flavors.

My prior comment also mentioned `update-manager`, which IF RUN will convert a deb package into a snap on 21.10/impish UNLESS the firefox deb package is marked as manually installed ; thus my prior `apt-mark manual` addition to my original post.

Code:
    sudo apt-mark manual firefox
    Note: I'm involved with a flavor, and testing has largely been with flavors since some Ubuntu-MATE users reported their deb package of `firefox` being converted (last friday).. It was tested & found to prevent Ubuntu-MATE & Xubuntu from switching; I felt no need to test Lubuntu (we don't provide `update-manager` on a default install; and my own primary box which does have it installed has not uninstalled the deb package anyway so I've felt no need to test it, or document it on the Lubuntu discourse).

The issue I'm talking about is this one

Beans

Re: Firefox won't run in 21.10 under tigervnc-server

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    My upgraded systems (Ubuntu, Lubuntu & Xubuntu) all still have `firefox` only as a deb package.

Flavors don't switch from deb to snap, only Ubuntu Desktop installs too. However Desktop installs that upgraded pre-beta or in the first few days of the beta also didn't switch which is why my Ubuntu Desktop install doesn't have it.

Ubuntu 21.10 systems can use either; default is snap for Ubuntu Desktop, but default is deb package for flavors.

My prior comment also mentioned `update-manager`, which IF RUN will convert a deb package into a snap on 21.10/impish UNLESS the firefox deb package is marked as manually installed ; thus my prior `apt-mark manual` addition to my original post.

Code:
    sudo apt-mark manual firefox
    Note: I'm involved with a flavor, and testing has largely been with flavors since some Ubuntu-MATE users reported their deb package of `firefox` being converted (last friday).. It was tested & found to prevent Ubuntu-MATE & Xubuntu from switching; I felt no need to test Lubuntu (we don't provide `update-manager` on a default install; and my own primary box which does have it installed has not uninstalled the deb package anyway so I've felt no need to test it, or document it on the Lubuntu discourse).

The issue I'm talking about is this one
    I am using Ubuntu Desktop. Not sure how firefox got switched from deb to snap, but it did. I never ran update-manager.
    I know I ran do-release-upgrade, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade .
    I have reverted to Ubuntu 20.04 now. Shouldn't have been playing with the 21 release at all. That'll teach me to use a non-LTS version. The VNC browser bug is annoying. But the known ZFS corruption bug is seriously scary. 21.10 should never have been released as-is. Either the release should have been delayed, or ZFS should have been removed from the release.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12