Thread: Cannot create flash drive?!

Beans

Cannot create flash drive?!

Guys,

I am trying to create an Ubuntu 21.10 flash drive in Windows 11. I have tried Rufus, an old version of Rufus, Poweriso and balenaEtcher. They all fail! Kubuntu works and when I try a Windows ISO that also works. I have checked the ISO hash, it is correct. This is bugging me!

Anyone else with these problems?

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot create flash drive?!

What exactly is going wrong. I have had experiences on Ubuntu where Startup Disk Creator would not recognise a Debian ISO as an image to be burned to USB memory stick. So, are these ISO burning applications not recognising the Ubuntu ISO image? Or, is the ISO image being burned but the live session does not load?

As a separate point I think it is a bit early to install Ubuntu 21.10. Wait a few days. There still may be issues to be corrected. Then download the ISO image again. It may have been recreated with bug fixes.

We do know that the Ubuntu developers want to use a new installer program. It is not finished as far as I know. The old installer is still present in the ISO image but the user may be offered a choice of which installer to use. If the issue is down to the installer failing then choose the Ubiquity installer. That is the long time installer. And the Kubuntu developers may have decided to continue using the old installer. That may explain why you say Kubuntu works.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot create flash drive?!

Quote Originally Posted by zamfp View Post
    Anyone else with these problems?
    I don't use Windows, so no, I don't have these problems. I used 'cp' to create a 21.10 flash drive. Worked fine. I'd think any Unix-based OS could do the same with a non-corrupt ISO.