Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the lightest .txt editor (what is a clone of windows notepad)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What is the lightest .txt editor (what is a clone of windows notepad)

There is very little you need to memorise to be able to use vi:
    i - enter insert mode, to begin entering text (Use cursor keys to move, backspace or delete to remove text).
    Esc - leave insert mode (you can still move with cursor keys)
    :w - write (save) file.
    :q - quit (:q! to quit without saving)
    That's enough to do a basic edit, and not much harder than nano. That's all I learned, all I knew for some years. This is well worth learning because vi is everywhere. Nano isn't. Nano is for those beginners who haven't learned the above four lines.
    The first "fancy" one I learned was !wq - write and quit in one command.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    There is very little you need to memorise to be able to use vi…
    This is well worth learning because vi is everywhere. Nano isn't. Nano is for those beginners who haven't learned the above four lines…
    Sometimes, we (I hazard the presumption of including myself among the Linux acolytes) are so comfortable around the command line that we forget how uncomfortable it makes newbies feel. While what you say is technically accurate, I think it misses the point that Tadaen_Sylvermane is trying to make: it's not so much the actual commands that make vi/m difficult to use, it's the general environment of obscurity and arcanery.

I get that modal editors are superpowered to their adepts. I also get that one can more or less find ones way around them without learning their more esoteric functions. But the whole idea of modal editing itself is entirely foreign to a non‑geek. We must remain mindful of the OP's caveat, which is important enough to recap:
    Quote Originally Posted by skoggo View Post
    …Something that is a computerised typewriter and nothing more.
    skoggo is not only speaking for him/herself here; s/he is speaking for practically all newbies—and for more than a few oldies, including me (and Tadaen_Sylvermane and ajgreeny). Actually, I am very thankful that skoggo stated his/her requirements so baldly, which gets to the heart of the matter so succinctly that I'm going to borrow it for my own use.

Modal editors were created by programmers for programmers. Vi/m is capable of doing triple backward somersaults with four‑and‑a‑half twists. But the vast majority of users have neither the time, patience, acumen nor even the inclination to become world class command line gymnasts. They just want a virtual typewriter. And anything that requires one to switch between edit mode vs command mode vs magic wand mode does not remotely act like a virtual typewriter.

The fact that vi is everywhere whereas nano is not is, again, true. But it is also a significant barrier to entry that keeps Linux obscure, keeps it arcane, discourages newcomers and turns off even seasoned users like me. The first thing I do after installing a bare bones OS (like OpenWRT) is to install nano.

The OP did ask about editors in the context of Ubuntu, where the availability of nano is not at issue.

Beans

here's something i found that teaches to use the vim editor
    https://www.makeuseof.com/master-vim-with-vimtutor/
    xubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans

You think nano is a toy? What about pico?

Beans

geany, definately (& better than Just Notepad)
    Last edited by xinuzi; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just came back for a visit. I see the editor choice war is still going. Enjoy it if you like.

An editor is NOT a word processor. I get the feeling we need to be clear about that. If the goal is a simple word processor, almost anything except an editor would be better. I wouldn't use my editor of choice for word processing more than 1-2 paragraphs.

I do use it for taking notes, however. There are a number of vim extensions just for note taking. I use vimwiki, but there are some heavier tools that are good for that - like gnote https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gnote and Basket-Note Pads https://basket-notepads.github.io/ (very MS-OneNote like) and Zim https://zim-wiki.org/ and if you have a Nextcloud server, there are 1-click modules for note taking for it. I specifically don't want a GUI, so vimwiki fits my needs and can be accessed from anywhere in the world over an ssh connection.

I'll leave everyone to keep the editor-wars going now.

The right tool, for the right job and when it comes to text processing, there are probably hundreds of tools for any Unix-like OS. Just depends on the intended use.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123