Thread: Ubuntu 21.10 virtual desktop settings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Ubuntu 21.10 virtual desktop settings

On recent versions of Ubuntu prior to 21.10 your virtual desktops stacked "vertically", down from the primary desktop.

Especially if you run dual monitors this made intuitive visual sense. You had a left and right monitor and your virtual desktops stacked down from your primary monitor.

For inexplicable reasons 21.10 has decided that virtual desktops are now horizontally arranged, to the right of the primary monitor.

Has anyone found a setting to move virtual desktops back to the much more sensible vertical stacking used by previous Ubuntu releases?

Thanks!
    Trying really hard to not be a future-hating curmudgeon. Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper was the best desktop ever...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 21.10 virtual desktop settings

You can thank gnome for completely changing a setup which worked well for what it was and did.
    You'd probably need to check gnome extensions to see what has been created for the new gnome 40 desktop that Ubuntu 21.10 now uses.
    Like this one: https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...ical-overview/

Unfortunately firefox and chromium on Ubuntu 21.10 are default snap packages and do not properly work with the chrome-gnome-shell package (which is used for installing gnome extensions from a web browser.)
    To install from a browser you'll need a browser built from a deb package.
    Firefox does still have a deb version in the repos, so you can install that in order to install the extensions you want.
    (or any other non-snap browser should work)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I seem to have both a DEB and a snap version of firefox installed, both v93.0.(stuff) and I'm not actually sure how to tell which one I'm using right now.

I'm old school, I don't quite see the point of this snap/snapcraft nonsense when deb packaging and install was already a thing and super, super easy. And the fact that you can't easily tell which one you're actually using is an additional nuisance.

Anyway, in whichever version of Firefox I'm currently in, I installed the browser plugin and appear to have installed the dashboard extension - see screenshot below.

JipVFRS.jpg

...but my virtual desktop is still sideways, and the options on the vertical overview extension are... opaque, to say the least, and do not appear to have any documentation.
    Last edited by QIII; October 17th, 2021 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Thumbnail image
    Trying really hard to not be a future-hating curmudgeon. Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper was the best desktop ever...

Beans

If you don't want two versions of Firefox, you can remove the snap version:
    Code:
    snap remove --purge firefox
    If you want both, you can rename one to tell them apart. You do that in the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications and edit the Name= line. That's what I did, at least for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    If you don't want two versions of Firefox, you can remove the snap version:
    Code:
    snap remove --purge firefox
    If you want both, you can rename one to tell them apart. You do that in the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications and edit the Name= line. That's what I did, at least for now.
    Will the .deb version get updates? I just downloaded the tarball from Mozilla and tried it on Arch (gnome 4), it works quite seamlessly. Maybe all the packaging stuffs are not necessary.