Thread: Is Java 8 still updated in Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS)?

Beans

Is Java 8 still updated in Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS)?

Hello,

I was wondering why Java 8 (openjdk-8-jdk) on my Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) machine still is at version 8u292 and doesn't find any newer version via "apt update". The latest version of OpenJDK 8, at the time of this writing, is 8u302, released on July 20th 2021:
    https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/jdk8u/Main

For example, Adoptium.net and Liberica JDK are offering Linux builds of OpenJDK version 8u302 for a long time now!

Since Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) is supposed to get "free" updates until Apr 2025, why is it that the included Java 8 (openjdk-8-jdk) packages, apprently, do not receive updates anymore at this point in time?

I understand that existing releases of Ubuntu won't incoporate new "major" versions of Java, such as Java 17 (LTS).

But shouldn't at least those "major" versions of Java, that are included in Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS), be kept up-to-date with to the latest OpenJDK "patch" version, for as long as Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) is still in "standard support" phase

After all, new "patch" versions of OpenJDK 8 may contain bugfixes or even fix some security vulnerabilities...

Thank you!
    Last edited by realst37; October 15th, 2021 at 04:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Is Java 8 still updated in Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS)?

It is in universe, so not maintained by Canonical.
    Maybe file a bug so the MOTU team can update it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pcfan1234 View Post
    It is in universe, so not maintained by Canonical.
    Can you please eloberate on that? I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with only "standard" out-of-the-box package repositories. No PPA or the like hase been added.

To my understanding, these "official" Ubuntu package repositories - even though being based on Debian Linux - are maintained by the Ubuntu developers (Canonical), aren't they?

So, Java 8 (openjdk-8-jdk) was installed from "official" Ubuntu package repositories and should be updated to the latest OpenJDK 8 "patch" version there, I think.

Maybe file a bug so the MOTU team can update it.
    Sorry, it may be obviosus for most users here, but I have no idea what MOTU is

Google brings up "Mark of the Unicorn (MOTU) is a music-related computer software and hardware supplier". But how are they involved with Ubuntu and especially its Java/OpenJDK packages?

Thank you.
    Last edited by spattent; October 18th, 2021 at 09:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories

There are 4 sections in the repositories: main, restricted, universe, multiverse. They differ in terms of support and licensing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by spattent View Post
    Google brings up "Mark of the Unicorn (MOTU) is a music-related computer software and hardware supplier". But how are they involved with Ubuntu and especially its Java/OpenJDK packages?
    They aren't. Presumably you merely googled "motu". If you google "Ubuntu motu", then the first hit is this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    They aren't. Presumably you merely googled "motu". If you google "Ubuntu motu", then the first hit is this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU
    I see. Thanks for the pointer!

So, if I get this right, the OpenJDK 8 package is provided from a separate repository called "universe". And the software in that repository is maintained by contributors known as "MOTU" rather than Canonical themselves.

I wasn't aware of that. But I'm still not quite sure what to do. The Wiki page has some info on how to become a MOTU, but that is way beyond my scope

I really just wanted to understand why the "openjdk-8-jdk" package in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is no longer kept up-to-date with the latest "patch" version of Open JDK 8, even though Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is still supported until Apr 2025.

Am I correct to assume that this is simply because non of the MUTO members has stepped up and uploaded the new version into "universe"?

For "normal" users like me, would this mean that we can not expect reliable updates for any packages that come from "universe"? That would actually be quite unfortunate for an LTS release, where you'd hope to get at least security updates and bugfixes in a realibly way for a long time...

Should I switch to Open JDK 8 packages from Liberica JDK instead?

Regards.
    Last edited by spattent; October 18th, 2021 at 11:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I really just wanted to understand why the "openjdk-8-jdk" package in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is no longer kept up-to-date with the latest "patch" version of Open JDK 8, even though Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is still supported until Apr 2025.
    The official support end Apr 2025 only applies to packages coming from main and restricted. The support end for universe differs from package to package.
    I recommend filing a bug in Launchpad for OpenJDK8, so the maintainers can provide an update.

Beans

The official support end Apr 2025 only applies to packages coming from main and restricted. The support end for universe differs from package to package.
    Is there any place where I can see the EOL date for each package in universe?

I recommend filing a bug in Launchpad for OpenJDK8, so the maintainers can provide an update.
    Thanks for the pointer. Did that.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Is there any place where I can see the EOL date for each package in universe?
    Sorry, I don't know any.

Beans

Should I switch to Open JDK 8 packages from Liberica JDK instead?
    Just keep Liberica