Thread: Is Java 8 still updated in Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS)?

Threaded View

Beans

Is Java 8 still updated in Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS)?

Hello,

I was wondering why Java 8 (openjdk-8-jdk) on my Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) machine still is at version 8u292 and doesn't find any newer version via "apt update". The latest version of OpenJDK 8, at the time of this writing, is 8u302, released on July 20th 2021:
    https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/jdk8u/Main

For example, Adoptium.net and Liberica JDK are offering Linux builds of OpenJDK version 8u302 for a long time now!

Since Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) is supposed to get "free" updates until Apr 2025, why is it that the included Java 8 (openjdk-8-jdk) packages, apprently, do not receive updates anymore at this point in time?

I understand that existing releases of Ubuntu won't incoporate new "major" versions of Java, such as Java 17 (LTS).

But shouldn't at least those "major" versions of Java, that are included in Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS), be kept up-to-date with to the latest OpenJDK "patch" version, for as long as Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) is still in "standard support" phase

After all, new "patch" versions of OpenJDK 8 may contain bugfixes or even fix some security vulnerabilities...

Thank you!
    Last edited by realst37; October 15th, 2021 at 04:40 PM.