Thread: Openbox Ubuntu 12 hour time

Beans

Openbox Ubuntu 12 hour time

Hi,

I have a question that I am hoping that someone may be able to help me with. I am running Ubuntu 20.04 with Openbox. I am in the USA and the locale seems to be set to en_US on this machine. However, when I execute a ls-la command, or attach a file in Thunderbird, or open a file in LibreOffice, all of the timestamps are in 24-hour time.

Is there anything that I can do to make these appear in 12-hour time (am/pm)?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Beans

Re: Openbox Ubuntu 12 hour time

Hello catipads. I use Lubuntu, and I can right click on the clock in the sys tray, choose the configure option. From there I can set to 12/24 hour time, whether to show date and format for that, etc. Hope this helps.
    I'm a firm believer that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    Lenovo ideapad320-15iap, 1.1G Intel processor with onboard graphics, x64, 1TB SSD, 8GB ram
    lubuntu 20.04.2

Beans

The terminal is not affected by the WM/DE you use. It's the terminal. Which terminal application are you using and which shell please? (If you are unsure of the shell it's probably BASH).

Beans

The time stamps for files are stored in a locale independent way (seconds since 1.1.1970, 0:00:00 UTC). How a program displays that time is up to the program. I don't know about Thunderbird or LibreOffice, but 'ls' has an option '--time-style' which will accept the same format codes as 'date'. So to get the time format for your locale you'd use 'ls -la --time-style=+%c'. If that still doesn't give you a twelve hour time format, you could try 'ls -la --time-style="+%a, %B %d %Y %r %p"'. If that works the way you want, you might set an alias for it in ~/.bashrc.

Holger