Thread: Hard drive about to die

Beans

Hard drive about to die

I have a hard drive that is about to die. It is the hard drive for my OS. It has given me 7 good years so I think I got my moneys worth. I obviously want to get my data off of it. So what is the best way to do this with hopefully as little strain as possible on it? Do I want to just load the OS then straight copy and paste to an external HD or a big flash drive? I have a couple of massive flash drives. I usually use my external HD's just trying to think of all my options. Do I want to load up a live cd and copy and paste that way so there is less OS strain on the HD? Use another computer to create an image? Is there some better option I am not thinking of?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Hard drive about to die

Quote Originally Posted by COKEDUDE View Post
    I obviously want to get my data off of it. So what is the best way to do this with hopefully as little strain as possible on it?
    From this comment, the implication is that you haven't backed up your data recently?

Therefore, boot into a live session and back up to another device?

With daily external back-ups, you can continue to use the drive until it expires.

Your data is more important than a piece of hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When repairing a PC for someone else who doesn't have a backup, I just boot the machine, hookup an external HD (preferably an SSD) and start copying. If you have a USB 3, that would work also.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by COKEDUDE View Post
    I have a hard drive that is about to die. It is the hard drive for my OS. It has given me 7 good years so I think I got my moneys worth. I obviously want to get my data off of it. So what is the best way to do this with hopefully as little strain as possible on it? Do I want to just load the OS then straight copy and paste to an external HD or a big flash drive? I have a couple of massive flash drives. I usually use my external HD's just trying to think of all my options. Do I want to load up a live cd and copy and paste that way so there is less OS strain on the HD? Use another computer to create an image? Is there some better option I am not thinking of?
    There are hundreds of discussions here about how to backup a system, just the data, just personal files, just personal settings. Only you can decide which is the best. You probably do not want to try to clone everyone on a dying HDD ... since you know it is dying, that probably means you've seen some issued caused by data loss already.

+1 for doing daily, versioned, backups.

For just personal data only, you can use the GUI to copy/paste stuff with little risk - but there is a hassle, since you'll need to do that again tomorrow and the next day and the next and the next until you replace the drive. BTW, new HDDs/SSDs sometimes fail in the first 30 days (as high as .5%), so with the new HDD/SSD, you'll want to keep doing daily backups. After 30 days, perhaps you could live with weekly backups? IDK. That's a personal choice.

The amount of data to be saved off will matter greatly for how to backup stuff. A few GB and it really doesn't matter, but if you have more than 20GB, that's when doing it correct, with a real backup tool matters.

Do a little searching in these forums. Read some of the opinions and suggested options. Then actually do something sooner than later. You've been playing russian roulette with your data.