Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problems with mpv of late ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: problems with mpv of late ...

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Please note that this thread is dangerously skirting the Forum's prohibition against rendering aid with youtube-dl.

Discussion is acceptable. Links to sites or outright instructions are not.

Rather than closing the thread outright, I've already edited some posts to eliminate such links/references, but please don't push the thread further into unacceptable territory.

Thanks to all for your cooperation.

thank you for the editing DuckHook; yes did not realize asking original question it might "stray" ; still not got an answer that fixes mpv playing youtube videos properly in 20.04 so my original question remains. Any other ideas? Surely one of you knowledge-masters
    Last edited by shantiq; October 16th, 2021 at 08:04 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    thank you for the editing DuckHook; yes did not realize asking original question it might "stray" ; still not got an answer that fixes mpv playing youtube videos properly in 20.04 so my original question remains. Any other ideas? Surely one of you knowledge-masters
    Actually it just happened the last couple of days, the issue is not mpv but the app whose name we can't mention and it is only on Youtube (mpv streaming on other sites work fine). I am currently trying to compile mpv from source since there is a way to use an alternative hook for streaming in master but run into a problem because it requires libplacebo >= 3.104.0 I will try to compile that or extract it from a .deb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Actually it just happened the last couple of days, the issue is not mpv but the app whose name we can't mention and it is only on Youtube (mpv streaming on other sites work fine ....

yes Monkeybrain on other sites for me Arte Iplayer no problem only YT
    Last edited by shantiq; October 16th, 2021 at 05:20 PM.
    ShanArt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It isn't mentioning youtube-dl that offends forum policy. It is the posting of any workarounds that skirt YouTube's Terms of Service. We are not lawyers on this forum and, whether we agree or disagree with YouTube's ToS is immaterial. We cannot risk getting the forums entangled in takedown notices and cease and desist orders. Historically, the only app that worked in this way was youtube-dl, but our policy also extends to other, more esoteric workarounds, so please, everyone, stop dropping hints and dangling alternatives.

Let's not play at semantics just to ignore the spirit of the prohibition.

Incidentally, I know that youtube-dl is useful for downloading from a number of sites that do not prohibit such downloading, so it is to some extent unfortunately named.

@shantiq

Time to stop fishing for solutions/workarounds. Suffice it to say that, to get back the full functionality of mpv for all media streams, you will just have to wait until that functionality gets restored in a future upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Loud and clear. Fair dues. Thanx Duckhook
    ShanArt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    My guess is we might see a new Opus driver from the mpv folks in the near future.
    Opus isn't the preferred audio encoder. Vorbis is with a noticeable difference in sound quality at lower bit rates. In the last month, I did a bunch of research around this trying to decide which format would best suit my needs (and wither to encode 1200+ audio CDs again).

My goal was to have the best quality, at the smallest file size, which supported my different media catalog systems and playback devices. Everyone says to rip to FLAC, but then transcode as needed for playback devices and portable devices. I really wanted to find a container for vorbis files that would read all the metadata tags. Alas, that doesn't appear possible.

I did lots of listening tests from FLAC to mp3, aac, opus, vorbis at a number of different bitrates to determine where my ears could actually here the differences.
    I looked at m4a, ogg, mp3, oga, mka, and a few other containers too - mainly for tagging and support by the different library systems.
    I dislike apple stuff, so really prefer to avoid m4a and aac. Many people wouldn't care.

FLAC > vorbis > opus > aac > mp3
    I'm seeking indistinguishable from FLAC as my goal for the other encodings and tried to use popular bitrates. Our ears aren't the same. Our music/audio content tastes are different.
    For me, I can't tell the difference between 192kbps and 256kbps mp3, so that's the upper end. I can tell the difference between 160 and 192 mp3 files.
    Ok - 192Kbps mp3 is my "gold standard" (though I can hear the difference from FLAC with mp3).
    128Kbps opus is just as good as 192Kbps mp3. Vorbis isn't massively better, but 96Kbps vorbis, can, for some audio types, be heard as different from 128Kbps opus AND 192Kbps mp3. That means 128Kbps for vorbis is my minimal "perfect" and just in case my ears have issues that others don't have, 160Kbps is what I'll use. Vorbis and opus both sound "richer" to me than mp3. Higher highs and richer lows. That's probably my bias showing.

I didn't test aac for reasons stated above. Sorry.

As for the containers that were supported, which I would allow on my systems, there was only 1. mp3. That is just sad. So, like many other people, I'm stuck with "good enough, but wasteful mp3.

I didn't bother with .oga or .mka files because they were badly supported for tagging in some system I considered very important. Probably my android players.
    Jellyfin supports .opus .ogg .flac and .mp3 Opus seems better supported than vorbis, but the webapp does play vorbis music in .ogg containers.
    Plex only supports .mp3.
    mpd supports all the encoded types and .opus .ogg .flac and .mp3 containers from what I can tell.
    I don't expect Android players to be hiFi - mainly used for car trips, so it isn't like I'll notice the difference (though my car does have a better than nice sound system) with a Memphis Amp and Polk speakers.

I think the best way for scientific comparisons would be to use frequency analysis for the decoded audio files from the different audio codec encodings.
    https://sound.stackexchange.com/ques...aphical-method

For some size information ... sorted 'du' output:
    Code:
    5224    ./Brothers_in_Arms/ogg/vorbis/160/Dire_Straits-Brothers_in_Arms-04-Your_Latest_Trick-vorbis-160k.ogg
    7696    ./Brothers_in_Arms/mp3/160/Dire_Straits-Brothers_in_Arms-04-Your_Latest_Trick-160k.mp3
    8920    ./Brothers_in_Arms/ogg/opus/160/Dire_Straits-Brothers_in_Arms-04-Your_Latest_Trick-opus-160k.ogg
    8920    ./Brothers_in_Arms/opus/160/Dire_Straits-Brothers_in_Arms-04-Your_Latest_Trick-160k.opus
    9236    ./Brothers_in_Arms/mp3/192/Dire_Straits-Brothers_in_Arms-04-Your_Latest_Trick-192k.mp3
    10556   ./Brothers_in_Arms/ogg/opus/192/Dire_Straits-Brothers_in_Arms-04-Your_Latest_Trick-opus-192k.ogg
    10556   ./Brothers_in_Arms/opus/192/Dire_Straits-Brothers_in_Arms-04-Your_Latest_Trick-192k.opus
    12312   ./Brothers_in_Arms/mp3/256/Dire_Straits-Brothers_in_Arms-04-Your_Latest_Trick-256k.mp3
    13820   ./Brothers_in_Arms/ogg/opus/256/Dire_Straits-Brothers_in_Arms-04-Your_Latest_Trick-opus-256k.ogg
    13820   ./Brothers_in_Arms/opus/256/Dire_Straits-Brothers_in_Arms-04-Your_Latest_Trick-256k.opus
    30388   ./Brothers_in_Arms/flac/Dire_Straits-Brothers_in_Arms-04-Your_Latest_Trick.flac
    So ... to me, the smallest file (160Kbps vorbis in an ogg container) sounds identical to the largest file - FLAC.
    I like this specific track because it has a mix of rock, jazz, and pop. You'll note that .ogg and .opus files with Opus encoding are identical sizes.
    The FLAC file was the source for all the others, as you may expect. I used lame for mp3 files, oggenc for vorbis. vorbiscomment was used for tagging in batch as needed. I used ffmpeg/libopus to create opus/ogg files.

Anyway, hope something finds this helpful. Got vorbis if you can. webm video uses vorbis and it supports multi-channel audio nicely, BTW. I know Kodi and VLC have no issue with video that has vorbis audio, but I also know that many video editors refuse to load files that don't have mp2 or aac or mp3 or ac3 audio tracks, so we may need to keep those in the video file while editing. YMMV with your video editor.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

As the original posting shows, YouTube videos use Opus because it's Google's variant of Ogg Vorbis.

I use flac.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12