Thread: All Desktop Folders and Files Disappeared

Beans

All Desktop Folders and Files Disappeared

Today I had Ubuntu up for several hours. I clicked on a file on my desktop and it would not open. I went to a command prompt and couldn’t access the Desktop directory. I rebooted and when I logged in the desktop was empty. Anyone know what may have happened and if it is possible to recover the files?

In syslog I don’t see any corruption errors although I don’t really know what to search for. (used grep -i corrupt and got nothing so grepped for file and didn’t find anything obvious. I did find this

Oct 10 18:02:45 Sol gnome-session[1763]: gnome-session-binary[1763]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file gsettings-data-convert.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary

And several several could not parse desktop file errors Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a Ubuntu 18.04.6 system. Thank you.

Dave
    Last edited by dh100; October 11th, 2021 at 03:39 AM.

Beans

Re: All Desktop Folders and Files Disappeared

It looks like what happened is that all the folders and files that were in the Desktop directory got moved to snap/Desktop.

Sorry to have to ask this but why would that have happened? What should I do? Just move all the files and folders back to the Desktop directory?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dh100 View Post
    command prompt
    Linux doesn't have any command prompt here we only have terminal here. Linux is not microsoft windows
    couldn’t access the Desktop directory.
    How did you access the desktop directry can you elaborate more on this?
    In syslog I don’t see any corruption errors although I don’t really know what to search for. (used grep -i corrupt and got nothing so grepped for file and didn’t find anything obvious. I did find this
    Oct 10 18:02:45 Sol gnome-session[1763]: gnome-session-binary[1763]:
    can you paste all the current system logs of your system in Ubuntu paste bin and give us the link here in thread?
    WARNING: Could not parse desktop file gsettings-data-convert.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
    This could be a gnome bug from your system.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

~/snap does not normally contain a Desktop directory, so I am guessing that ~/Desktop somehow got moved. I would just move it back again. This command should do it:
    Code:
    mv ~/snap/Desktop ~/
    Note that ~ is short for your home directory, whatever that is called.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    ~/snap does not normally contain a Desktop directory, so I am guessing that ~/Desktop somehow got moved. I would just move it back again. This command should do it:
    Code:
    mv ~/snap/Desktop ~/
    Note that ~ is short for your home directory, whatever that is called.
    Here, I would suggest doing this with the graphical file manager. That will preserve the "special" status of the Desktop folder.

If in the mean time, you moved already using the terminal, you can manually edit "~/.config/user-dirs.dirs" and restore the line for the desktop folder to read:
    Code:
    XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"