Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting into Ubuntu MATE partition with Windows 10 as main OS

Beans

Booting into Ubuntu MATE partition with Windows 10 as main OS

Hello,

I have Windows 10 as the main OS on C: and it was upgraded from Windows 7. I have installed Ubuntu MATE on the 100 GB partition that is shaded below. The only way I can boot into it is by inserting a USB stick with Ubuntu-MATE installer on it that has a grub updated from within the Ubuntu MATE on that shaded partition.

The system does not run on EUFI nor it has Secure Boot enabled. If I enable any of them nothing runs not even Windows.

When I installed Ubuntu MATE I chose Custom instead of Ubuntu alongside Windows because the latter did not prompt me with any screen where to install the OS.

I wish to be prompted with Windows 10 or Ubuntu MATE on boot without the USB stick because the USB stick (SanDisk) is getting really hot.

Should I crated a 512 MB partition on the HD and then install a grub there? I didn't have any problems installing MATE on two other laptops alongside Windows Vista on them. Is Windows 10 special?

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Booting into Ubuntu MATE partition with Windows 10 as main OS

Windows only boots in BIOS mode from MBR partitioned drives.
    Windows only boots in UEFI mode from gpt partitioned drives.
    You cannot really mix modes on same drive, and should not mix modes even if different drives.
    Or all systems must be UEFI or all BIOS.
    If UEFI hardware generally better to use UEFI, but you cannot easily convert Windows & change from MBR to gpt will normally totally erase drive.
    Always have good backups.

Post this:
    sudo parted -l

Grub from Ubuntu will offer to Boot Windows if installed in same boot mode & it is a working Windows.
    But Windows cannot be hibernated nor need chkdsk. If BIOS, you have only one MBR, so only have one boot loader in MBR.
    So have both Windows repair/recovery flash drive & Ubuntu live installer to make repairs.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Windows is running in BIOS mode. That's how I received the PC. It had Windows 7 on it. If I put UEFI in BIOS nothing works at all.

Beans

Model: ATA HGST HTS541010A9 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 1574MB 1573MB primary ntfs boot
    2 1574MB 445GB 444GB primary ntfs
    3 445GB 982GB 537GB extended lba
    6 445GB 553GB 107GB logical ext4
    5 553GB 982GB 429GB logical ntfs
    4 982GB 1000GB 18.0GB primary ntfs

Model: SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 61.5GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Disk Flags:

1 1049kB 61.5GB 61.5GB primary xfs boot

Model: SD SD128 (sd/mmc)
    Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 126GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Disk Flags:

1 16.8MB 126GB 126GB primary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If it did not show partitions during install, you probably then had Windows fast start up still on.
    With BIOS, you have to temporarily reinstall the Windows boot loader to MBR, so you can boot Windows & turn off fast startup or make other repairs. Then you have to reinstall grub to MBR and with a sudo update-grub, it should add Windows to grub menu, so you can dual boot.

If not post this, Boot-Repair is primarily for Linux issues. Its advanced mode may let you install a Windows type boot loader to MBR, but only Windows can install the Windows boot loader:
    Lets see details, use ppa version with your live installer (2nd option) or any working install, not Boot-Repair ISO:
    Please copy & paste the pastebin link to the Boot-info summary report ( do not post report), do not run the auto fix till reviewed.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you for the your help, @oldfred.

Just for confirmation: With Boot Loader (MBR), Ubuntu cannot launch, right? The only way is to have grub installed in MBR, right?

I tried to remove quickstart from BIOS but it was for Diagnostics. I need some time to work this through. I will keep the thread open.

Beans

Just for confirmation: With Boot Loader (MBR), Ubuntu cannot launch, right? The only way is to have grub installed in MBR, right?
    The above quote doesn't make any sense. Grub is a bootloader for Linux as BCD is a bootloader for current windows. What oldfred is saying is that you can only have boot code of one bootloader in the MBR, so EITHER grub or bcd. The advantage of using Grub is that it can boot windows also. The disadvantage of using BCD is that it won't boot Ubuntu. (Weli, that isn't totally accurate as it is possible to boot some Linux from BCD but it is so convoluted I'm not going to discuss it)

If you can't find the quick start or fadtboot options in the BIOS firmware, look in the Control Panel in windows for a section called Power Settings and turn off hibernation if it is on. If you have this setting an turn it off, it will be turned back on during some major updates in windows. Of course, the standard practice here will be to not bother to ask the user if s/he wants it on no will the user be informed that it is being turned on.

Good Luck.

Beans

Check your BIOS/UEFI Settings for selecting the boot mode (legacy or UEFI). Some machines let your set a preference, and will boot the first mode possible, so in that case set your preference to "legacy before UEFI". Other machines may only offer a settings, UEFI or compatibility, so compatibility or CSM is what should be selected. Sounds like you have a machine with only a legacy Windows installed, but the preferred mode was UEFI, so the Ubuntu boot media, which does both modes, was run in UEFI mode (with no place to put the UEFI bootloaders).

Beans

Thank you for your explanations.

It is UEFI and preference for Legacy first maybe that's why it didn't work. I never had problems installing Ubuntu on Vista machines. This one is Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 and what's confusing is that the partitions in Windows don't look the same as the ones in Linux.

I will turn off QuickStart from Settings and will disable hibernation.

It will take me a while to find time to do this. I will definitely reply later on.

Beans

I just wanted to make sure that the steps I did were OK since it's the first time I do this. I came across this video that helps things better for starters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUVIc-W13s

It works for Windows 8. It should work for Windows 10. No?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast