Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Booting into Ubuntu MATE partition with Windows 10 as main OS

Beans

Re: Booting into Ubuntu MATE partition with Windows 10 as main OS

The steps in the video you posted are correct for a Legacy install of both windows and Ubuntu if you want to boot both from windows. They won't work at all on UEFI but since you are using Legacy, the steps will. work. I used these exact steps to enable booting windows 7 and Linux from the windows BCD bootloader. During the install of Ubuntu, the person installing did not accept the default of installing Grub to the MBR of that drive but rather to the partition on which Ubuntu is installed. Doing this does not "corrupt" the MBR as indicated by the person in the video but installs Grub code there. For windows users who want to keep windows code in the MBR, this is correct. If a user does not have a windows installation CD or hasn't bothered to create a windows recovery CD, s/he could have problems reinstalling windows boot code although it is possible to download windows software to do this.

Going through the process of using BCD requires an installed Linux as you see in the video (using the dd command) and as I indicated in an earlier post is convoluted. The instructions for using BCD to boot Ubuntu took about half the video whereas installing Grub to boot both windows/Ubuntu was a simple mouse click. If you want windows in charge, the method described will work.

Beans

Thank you for your explanation. Yes on this laptop I want Windows (Legacy) to be in charge. The other laptops of course Linux is in charge and it was quite easy.

Beans

I copied the grub info into Windows
    I used bcdedit to create a partition entry, label it and sort it and it is working. It is much slower than grub.

I still have one question. Can I update the grub in Ubuntu Mate on sda6? Will it affect Windows? This grub has an additional 2 entries showing the USB partitions which I no longer need to boot on.

Thank you for all your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12