Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rapidly decreasing home free space available

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Rapidly decreasing home free space available

So ... first it would be good to sort the output. That's easy.
    Code:
    $ sudo du -sh * | sort -h
    0       initrd.img
    0       initrd.img.old
    0       proc
    0       sys
    0       vmlinuz
    0       vmlinuz.old
    du: cannot access 'proc/4071/fd/3': No such file or directory
    du: cannot access 'proc/4071/fdinfo/3': No such file or directory
    du: cannot access 'proc/4071/task/4071/fd/4': No such file or directory
    du: cannot access 'proc/4071/task/4071/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory
    du: cannot access 'run/user/1000/gvfs': Permission denied
    4.0K    cdrom
    4.0K    E
    4.0K    lib64
    4.0K    mnt
    8.0K    dev
    8.0K    srv
    16K     lost+found
    148K    tmp
    1.3M    root
    4.7M    run
    5.8M    lib32
    15M     sbin
    17M     bin
    18M     etc
    26M     chris
    151M    boot
    474M    opt
    948M    lib
    9.1G    var
    9.6G    usr
    14G     snap
    15G     home
    4.2T    media

So ... now we can look just at the bottom few lines and ignore all the others. Going back to the df output:
    Code:
    $ mydf
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/nvme0n1p5   40G   38G   75M 100% /
    /dev/nvme0n1p4   50G   12G   39G  24% /media/Share
    /dev/nvme0n1p1  256M   34M  223M  13% /boot/efi
    So /media is on a different file system. Not important.
    That leaves /home, /snap, and OS stuff. You can control what goes into those two.
    Almost always, you can choose NOT to use bloated snap programs. Find the standard install and stop using "Ubuntu Software Center" to load snaps. There are very view snap-package-only programs and even those have alternatives almost always that aren't snaps.

The solution for /home is what my last post explained.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cAlpha View Post
    Any reason this would be less desirable than what you're describing?
    I cannot say. There are many complications on each system and what 1 person considers "desirable" isn't necessarily what another person would. Just copying files loses 50% of the information that Linux needs about each file for a proper restore. For plain data, that may not be important. For non-data files, it could be absolutely critical. I know which files it matters on my systems, but couldn't presume to know what your system has.

The safe answer is ... don't expect a simple copy to work. Get the metadata on each file too. A simple copy almost always loses the metadata that we need when restoring to another install. Anything outside your HOME directory is likely to need that metadata and a few files inside your HOME have extremely specific settings that will break programs if not maintained. A copy using a GUI doesn't keep that metadata. Use backup tool - or use cp/rsync with the specific options to maintain the metadata. BTW, of the target location for that copy isn't a native Linux file system, the metadata will be lost too.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 9th, 2021 at 12:47 PM.

Beans

You have 9Gb in /var
    If you run
    Code:
    cd /var
    sudo du -sh *
    Then you can see what is taking up the space. Rinse and repeat until you have interrogated the file system and you can see what is taking up the space.

Beans

I'd originally created the partition with 40GB since it seemed like way more than I'd need.
    It should be if we're referring to a system partition. Any recommendations you see as to the size needed for an Ubuntu or Linux install is for the system and software. There is no way to know what size will be needed for data as that depends on what the user needs. Text files take up very little space while audio and image files take up a lot of space. So my point is that 40GB is more than enough for your Ubuntu system, but is severely lacking for data. This is one of the primary reasons many users create a separate /home partition.

I'd agree that you should take a look at /var since it is likely that much of that 9GB is going to be in /var/log and you can delete files there without problem. You might keep the newest of each and delete the older files. Should knock that 9GB down considerably.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    You have 9Gb in /var
    If you run
    Code:
    cd /var
    sudo du -sh *
    Then you can see what is taking up the space. Rinse and repeat until you have interrogated the file system and you can see what is taking up the space.
    I posted a tedious example of doing this 1-2 months ago for someone else who had unexpected storage used. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....7#post14059347 It has du and find examples. It found stuff in unexpected places.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12