Thread: How to configure new graphics card

Beans
    Hidden!

How to configure new graphics card

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04. I recently installed a new graphics card. I can only get a single output to work on it. What do I need to do to reconfigure Ubuntu to detect my new adapter and start using it?

~/Downloads/amdgpu-pro-19.30-909144-ubuntu-18.04 $ sudo lshw -C display
    *-display UNCLAIMED
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Turks GL [FirePro V4900]
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:41:00.0
    version: 00
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:80000000-8fffffff memory:9f620000-9f63ffff ioport:3000(size=256) memory:c0000-dffff

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to configure new graphics card

To be clear, I've tried installing open source radeon, open source amdgpu, and amdgpu-pro from AMD's website. Everything seems to install correctly, but none of them will actually bind to the card.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

First thing: remove anything amdgpu. Your very old hardware (technologically speaking) is beyond end-of-life and was discontinued before amdgpu came along. Its physical architecture is not compatible with amdgpu.

Your card is supported by the open-source radeon driver module. If you were able to see anything on your monitor when you installed the card, then the module was loaded and driving your GPU. There would have been nothing else required on your part.
    Last edited by QIII; October 8th, 2021 at 06:59 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've already tried removing everything amdgpu by calling /usr/bin/amdgpu-uninstall and /usrbin/amdgpu-pro-uninstall (depending on what existed there at the time) and it doesn't seem to help. I do have something on my monitor after installing the card. The problem is all monitors have the same thing. When I pull up arandr, I see one "default" screen. I keep reading that because the output of lshw -C display says the display is UNCLAIMED and the "configuration" line doesn't show "driver=", that means no driver is loaded for the card. Is that not correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

No, that is not necessarily correct. If you see anything at all with a card with that physical architecture, the radeon module is loaded and driving the GPU. There are only two drivers for AMD graphics devices in a modern Linux distribution: radeon and amdgpu (AMDGPU-PRO if you add the proprietary overlay to amdgpu). Both are present in the Linux kernel as is and no further action is required. The module that will be loaded and used depends on which supports the hardware. In your case, that is radeon.

Please issue the following command in the terminal and post the results

Code:
    lsmod | grep radeon
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

I tried that command and got nothing back. I then loaded that module and long story short, after fixing some other things I broke while trying to debug, everything is working as I desire. With some more digging, I found that "radeon" was in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, probably due to my previous card installed. Removing that seems to be a permanent fix. Thanks!

Edit: lshw -C display output looks correct too.

~ $ lshw -C display
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
    *-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Turks GL [FirePro V4900]
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:41:00.0
    version: 00
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
    resources: irq:134 memory:80000000-8fffffff memory:9f620000-9f63ffff ioport:3000(size=256) memory:c0000-dffff
    WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
    Last edited by Only1KW; October 8th, 2021 at 08:43 PM.