Thread: Why does Ubuntu insist on the default directories, and what is the purpose of Desktop

Beans

Angry Why does Ubuntu insist on the default directories, and what is the purpose of Desktop

I think it has been about ten years now that Ubuntu has implemented the default directories - why?!?!?!

Documents
    Downloads
    Music
    Pictures
    Public
    Templates
    Videos

It would seem that the list is a good suggestion for novice organization of files, but once a user becomes experienced, the list tends to have some structural problems. I never use "Public," for what it is seemingly designated for. In any event there still does not seem to be an easy way to prevent Ubuntu from recreating the directories upon logging into the account. Why??? The dirs-dirs file still does not explain how to redirect the default to a subdirectory, which is what I do with Music. For me "Music" is a subdirectory of the Audio directory - where else am I supposed to put my audio editing files. And why wouldn't I make Music a subdirectory of Audio???

And then, why wouldn't Documents be a subdirectory of Desktop???

Which leads to the Desktop problem - it would seem that the Desktop is a place for the visual sorting of files, but the Desktop icon system is always irregular - it is never stable. It is like it always gets messed up upon logging in.

You have all these fancy window systems that are supposed to make organizing open applications convenient for different ways of thinking, but the Desktop feature remains "old."

Thank you for entertaining my grievances.

Beans

Re: Why does Ubuntu insist on the default directories, and what is the purpose of Des

Documents isn't a subdirectort of Desktop. This is nonstandard so you made this yourself. By default $HOME/Desktop and $HOME/Documents are separate.
    The folders (as far as I know) are not created at each and every login but I'm happy to be wrong here. You can use
    Code:
    cat $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs
    To see the current configuration for the user folders.
    You can use something like the below:
    Code:
    mkdir $HOME/Downloads/Music
    xdg-user-dirs-update --set MUSIC "$HOME/Downloads/Music"
    and move things around as you like.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Why does Ubuntu insist on the default directories, and what is the purpose of Des

I'm failing to see the problem here. The UNIX/POSIX/Linux directory structure is well defined and standardised.
    One basic directory is /home where every user is free to do whatever he/she wants in their private subdirectory (aka $HOME or ~)

Every user has an own desktop, and thus a $HOME/Desktop directory which defines the icons in the Application Menu and on the Desktop.

What's wrong with this?
    Last edited by ml9104; October 7th, 2021 at 05:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What makes you believe is should have changed, or the fact that it hasn't indicates that something is wrong?

You are free to create your own directories as you choose and have them be wherever you want.

Don't, however, expect an OS that expects compliance with a well-established and standardized file structure to work perfectly if you get too carried away.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.