Thread: carriage returns go missing

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

carriage returns go missing

Whenever I post at the moment, all carriage returns seem to be going missing resulting in one long unformatted block of text. For instance, this should be on a new line & there should be a blank line above. This should be a vertical numbered list: 1. 2. 3. 4. What am I doing wrong?
    I like the dollar uptime thing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: carriage returns go missing

How is your forum reply text box set up?

Go to Settings at the top of a forum page, General settings, Miscellaneous and see which of the three options you are using from the Simple, Standard or Advanced; I don't think there is any great advantage to using anything but Standard and I remember the Advanced causing problems in the past.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I had the following 3 options listed:

Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
    Basic Editor - A simple text box
    Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

It was set to 'Enhanced Interface'

I switched it to 'Basic Editor'

Let's see if that helps..

edit.. that's great, many thanks
    I like the dollar uptime thing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by nginmu View Post
    It was set to 'Enhanced Interface'

I switched it to 'Basic Editor'

Let's see if that helps..

edit.. that's great, many thanks
    I think there's something else going on. Every so often (about once a year or so) someone experiences the same problem as you but, frustratingly, never reports back. So thanks for what you have told us.

Most forum members are using the default enhanced interface mode of the message editor, but are able to post without the complication of missing carriage returns. I guess that the enhanced mode has merely exacerbated a glitch from something else. Two questions:

1. Are you composing your posts in the message editor, or composing them in a standalone text editor or word processor and then copy-pasting the text of your post into the forum message editor?
    2. Do you have any browser addons installed?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.