Thread: Mouse stopped working after system lockup

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Mouse stopped working after system lockup

Yesterday, my desktop computer, running Xubuntu, froze and I had to kill the power to get it to reboot. Now, my USB mouse doesn't work on any port, although it works on a different computer and other things work through USB. I've tried a different mouse with the same results and power cycling to reboot doesn't help.. I'm not sure which version of Xubuntu I have and don't know how to find out without a mouse. Please give me simple instructions for finding out which version I have and getting my mouse working again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Mouse stopped working after system lockup

Have you tried a wired mouse? Do you have an external HD that you can plug in and see if it spins up? I am thinking that you lost the 5 volt output of your power supply.

Beans
    Distro

All of the mice I've tried have been wired.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

OK. But that does not tell us whether or not you have lost the 5V signal from the power supply. My guess is that either you have a failed or failing power supply, or something else on the PC (hard drive, USB hub, printer) is pulling the 5v too low. IF you are using any USB hubs: powered or nonpowered, disconnect them. Disconnect EVERY USB peripheral including the receiver for the mouse and try a wired mouse. You should also try another keyboard. See what happens and report back!

Beans
    Distro

I don't have a USB hub on that computer, but I've tried every port possible with two different mice. I may well need to buy a hub, as it's cheaper than taking it into the shop. And, there is no "receiver" for a mouse because I already wrote that I don't have a wireless mouse.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

With the mouse plugged in, does at least the red laser light come on under the mouse?

Do you have a USB or DVD that you can boot the PC from to see if the mouse then works?

Beans
    Distro

Not with the original mouse. I'm not sure if it does with a different mouse and I can't test it right now. Will check it later and let you know.