Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where am I going wrong installing 20.04.3

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Where am I going wrong installing 20.04.3

Normally, the installer will do the job for you. But not always.
    First a Disclaimer: I'm very experienced with Lubuntu (four old HP laptops running 20.04), but it has a different installer (Calamares). Still, the functionality is approximately the same.

You've gotten past the BIOS, and are booting from the DVD/USB. That's the first step mastered.

After the select region, language, keyboard, blabla etc., select Manual Partitioning.

1st partition: 20...30 GB, format, ext4, mount point: /, boot flag
    2nd partition: SWAP (this is optional)
    3rd partition: rest of disk, format, ext4, mount point: /home, no flag.

This works every time. And I've done it at least 50 times.

PS: Ubuntu is a bit heavy for older HPs. But if you want to try Lubuntu or other dialects, PLEASE go through ubuntu.com, There are a couple of cybersquatter sites active.
    Last edited by GhX6GZMB; October 5th, 2021 at 10:13 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by loybanks View Post
    Well I went thru the install procedure again this morning, but still came up Boot Device Not Found. I tried to follow Dennis N. instructions, but some of what he related to specifically is not included in actual instructions. IE there was no mention of Grub anyplace in the install. Also is the Ext 4 journalizing file system where I should install the main files? What about the Boot Loader. Where does it come into being? Also I am wondering if this older machine with a Legacy BIOS is really meant to have Ubuntu installed?

I wonder is there a Page out there in Internet Land that applies directly to installing Ubuntu 20.04, with comments about what one might expect to find, what will you find and what has to be there to make the whole thing work? So many turns and in and outs it just boggles the mind.

Well still needing help with this problem. Many thanks to all.
    See the attached image - this is the screen you should be looking at.
    Grub is the name of the bootoader, so they are synonymous. "Device for boot loader installation" at the bottom is where to install grub. Choose sda for this.

The following from memory - I do not have the installer running to look at it, but your display at the top will be different, since you already have some partitions!

The OS will be installed on the partition you select in the display. After selecting, click the "change" button - it brings up a little dialog asking how to use the partition you selected. So you select "use as ext4 journaling filesystem" here. It also asks if you want to format it. Check that. There is another question in the dialog which asks for "mount point". Choose root (symbolized as /).

Then you are ready to click on "Install"!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis N; October 6th, 2021 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am attaching some photos to give you an idea what I am dealing with trying to get this installed in the old HP Laptop. As mentioned with a legacy BIOS. Well I just thought I would be providing some photos. But looks like they want URL's to the Photos. I should be able to just post the photo. Actually just trying to sign in to Ubuntu is a real challenge. Every time I go around and around just getting signed in. I am sure the approach does discourage many people from joining in. Just too challenges to go thru. OH Well! What do I know! Well I am out of ideas. Absolutely discouraged with this install.
    Loy Banks
    Pueblo West, CO 81007

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I am able to sign in and out dozens of times a day. That is done, by the way, using Ubuntu One and we do not control that.

To post images, use the attachment facility via the "paperclip" button above the text entry box. If you are trying to edit an existing post to do so, use the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom right to pull up more of the top buttons.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated. One aggravating issue for this old man. I am 81, it is my lack of patience at times. I try, but sometimes things just hit me wrong or...? Not to mention all the disgusting things going on in the world today. I have just about stopped watching news channels. OH well! What do I know! Thanks so much. Your input is appreciated.
    Loy Banks
    Pueblo West, CO 81007

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated. One aggravating issue for this old man. I am 81, it is my lack of patience at times. I try, but sometimes things just hit me wrong or...? Not to mention all the disgusting things going on in the world today. I have just about stopped watching news channels. OH well! What do I know! Thanks so much. Your input is appreciated.
    Loy Banks
    Pueblo West, CO 81007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12