Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Shortcuts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Desktop Shortcuts

What is the best way to create web desktop shortcuts with Ubuntu 20.04?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Desktop Shortcuts

Here is how to do it with Firefox

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ortcut-website

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Grahammechanical - I have tried that but although it drags the URL to the desktop it does not 'stick'. Any reason for that?
    Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are several comments on the web that say Ubuntu 20.04 does not support 'drag and drop'
    The alternatives get quite complicated and there are several of them!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nothing is easy with the Gnome Desktop Environment. I will give you that. You are right. Drag and Drop of the web site address does not work. On the other hand, we can use Files>Copy to>Desktop to put a text file on the desktop. A script is a text file with the .sh extension. It will need to have Permissions set to Execute.

I have messed around for several minutes trying to create a script that will load Firefox at the chosen web site and I have failed miserably. I can get the script on to the desktop. Sometimes a reboot is needed to get it to appear. I have failed. I am completely lacking in any scripting expertise. Sorry.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes I managed to get a script file on the desktop but did not find it useful. The answer seems to be to use another File Manager which supports 'drag and drop' but finding one that integrates well with Ubuntu is difficult! I did not find Nemo very useful.
    There must be someone in the forum that knows
    Thanks for replying

Beans

What is the best way to create web desktop shortcuts with Ubuntu 20.04?
    Xubuntu 20.04
    xubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks 3rd - thats useful- was hoping to stick with Ubuntu will try the suggested flavour Xubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I do not use Ubuntu for the main reason that I think gnome has just about killed any pretence of a useful DE, and has removed so many useful features that for me it has become impossible to use, at least it has in its default state.

I think I'm right in saying that to put desktop shortcuts (launchers) on the gnome desktop there is a need to use an extension but as I don't use gnome I am not sure exactly how that is done or which extension you will need to add.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think I'm right in saying that to put desktop shortcuts (launchers) on the gnome desktop there is a need to use an extension but as I don't use gnome I am not sure exactly how that is done or which extension you will need to add.
    Ubuntu developers have a Gnome extension that does this. It is installed by default. I have three icons on my desktop. A folder icon that opens the file manager at my home folder. Courtesy of Ubuntu developers. An icon for the rubbish bin. In Ubuntu 21.10 it gets transferred on to the launcher. And an icon for a Windows program that I am running through Wine.

This Windows program will load from the launcher icon. To get it loading from the desktop icon I had to click it and select Allow Launching. Perhaps that is what I am failing to do in my experiments. And they are just that. Experiments. I am not the OP.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast