Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: installing ubuntu onto other drive partitions

Beans

installing ubuntu onto other drive partitions

i have a 512gb SSD mid-range laptop running on windows, and have been for a long time. i'm thinking of making a dual boot, and I want to install the ubuntu files onto my other drive partition (for example, right now i'm using the C: partition as my main one, with ~400 gigs in size, and then another ~100 gb D: partition, running on the same SSD, both formatted in NTFS). is it possible to install it onto there instead of on the entire SSD? just asking, since i don't want to accidentally install it onto my main C: drive.

keep in mind i'm not very talented with ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: installing ubuntu onto other drive partitions

You can install to the D partition but it's going to have to be formatted for Linux. The installer will give you the opportunity to format it.
    Last edited by psychohermit; October 2nd, 2021 at 02:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Here is a little check list for dual booting.
    The info was gleaned via an array of forum posts relevant to dual booting.
    Not all are applicable in every case.

General Observations for Dual Boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu Family

Backup your data
    Both systems in UEFI mode with GPT
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

UEFI settings

Disable Secure Boot
    Disable Fast Boot
    Disable Legacy mode
    Check that Legacy USB Support is enabled
    Change SATA mode to AHCI where the default is RAID or Intel RST (Windows may need AHCI driver)
    Disable TPM
    Disable Optane memory and storage

Windows 10

Backup your data
    Turn off Bitlocker
    Do not have any drives encrypted during Ubuntu installation process
    Disable Fast Start Up i.e. Windows is not hibernating
    Some Windows updates turn on hibernation automatically
    Disable applications which manage Intel Optane memory & storage
    Disk must be GPT
    Install Windows 10 in UEFI mode
    Check via System Information > System Summary > BIOS mode > UEFI
    Windows will have an EFI partition (needed by Ubuntu later)
    Use Windows tools to reduce Windows partition size and create free space
    Reboot Windows to allow chkdsk to run
    Windows may need AHCI driver
    https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubunt...-enabled/15347

Ubuntu Family

Boot into a live session in UEFI mode (how you boot determines the installation mode)
    Check wifi, sound, graphics, mouse, keypad etc
    Install Ubuntu in the free space previously created (or your own partition scheme e.g. separate root and home)
    Allow the installer to automatically create the necessary partitions (or your preferred configuration)
    Grub will find the EFI partition already used by Windows
    Sometimes (although very rare) internet connection prevents clean installation

Beans

Can I use some external tool to quickly format it for Linux instead of doing it in the installer?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am a bit confused? How many drives do you have? One 512GB SSD? And another drive?

Please keep in mind that we use Windows tools to create, move, shrink, expand or delete Windows partitions. And we use Linux tools to create, move, shrink, expand or delete Linux partitions.

With spinning disks it is always best to defrag Windows before and after doing things to the partitions. Also make sure that Windows is still loading. I am not familiar with Solid State Drives. So, I do not know if the advice to defrag is still relevant.

You will need to create unallocated space by shrinking and moving Windows partitions. Into that space we use a Linux partition manager to create one, two or three Linux partitions that can be used by Ubuntu.

A single 100GB partition for Ubuntu is the most simple case for installing Ubuntu. Some of us prefer to have at least two partitions. One 25GB (minimal) partition for Ubuntu and the rest for the user's home partition. The user's home partition will be where the user's configuration files and documents will go. It makes it easier to re-install Ubuntu without loosing data and documents.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I am a bit confused? How many drives do you have? One 512GB SSD? And another drive?

Please keep in mind that we use Windows tools to create, move, shrink, expand or delete Windows partitions. And we use Linux tools to create, move, shrink, expand or delete Linux partitions.

With spinning disks it is always best to defrag Windows before and after doing things to the partitions. Also make sure that Windows is still loading. I am not familiar with Solid State Drives. So, I do not know if the advice to defrag is still relevant.

You will need to create unallocated space by shrinking and moving Windows partitions. Into that space we use a Linux partition manager to create one, two or three Linux partitions that can be used by Ubuntu.

A single 100GB partition for Ubuntu is the most simple case for installing Ubuntu. Some of us prefer to have at least two partitions. One 25GB (minimal) partition for Ubuntu and the rest for the user's home partition. The user's home partition will be where the user's configuration files and documents will go. It makes it easier to re-install Ubuntu without loosing data and documents.

Regards
    I tried to attach an image on how my stuff looks. I have this C: drive, A: drive, and another (not shown) F: drive, with 60 and 40 gb respectively, totaling to 100gb (i was planning on merging them) and then an USB with 32 gigs, that I will be installing Ubuntu from. I wanted to know if I can put the Ubuntu files on the A: or F: drive (or alternatively D: drive), instead of my C: drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Oh, yeah, my disk management looks like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can I use some external tool to quickly format it for Linux instead of doing it in the installer?
    Yes, but forget about quickly as that is when mistakes happen. We install Ubuntu from a USB memory stick that has had a Ubuntu ISO image burned to it. How to do this from Windows:

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...ows#1-overview

We boot from the Ubuntu memory stick and run the TRY Ubuntu session and then we use a utility called GParted.

https://gparted.org/

This is an official installation guide.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install...top#1-overview

Edit: Please download and study the GParted manual. This utility is included in the Ubuntu installer. No need to download it.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 2nd, 2021 at 03:20 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by torrtoise View Post
    Oh, yeah, my disk management looks like this.
    Where is the 100GB partition mentioned in Post no. 1?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Also remember that when Windows mentions Disks, eg C:/ and D:/ etc etc it usually means partitions, not drives at all, totally confusing those of us who don't use Windows any more and use Linux only.

Once you have booted to a live Ubuntu system as recommended by grahammechanical open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T and run command
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    then copy back here all of the output you see by highlighting the text in terminal with the mouse, right clicking and choosing Copy, then coming back here to paste it into your reply.
    Please use Code-Tags for terminal output as it makes that output much more easily read and understood, formatting the text as seen in terminal, not as plain text when it is copied and pasted. See my signature below for a How-to

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast