Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can I track down and reverse certain recent updates?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can I track down and reverse certain recent updates?

In the OP,
    Last week I took a big amount of updates to my Ubuntu18LTS KVM server. Since the updates, I have been unable to restart the vms.
    That seems to correlate with when the issue started.
    The bug link above says that VMs created in 18.04 and earlier have problems migrating to 20.04 and later under specific situations. I don't have any 20.04 VM hosts, so I don't know first hand what the exact issue is, but the bug does say something about older virtual motherboards being broken (which had some fixes) and the newer virtual motherboards fix some of the issues. The console type and keyboard were the issues listed, which seems to map to what Heeter says in post #1 above.
    I do believe it is the one that did something to my keyboard update, because I remember it asking me for which keyboard I wanted to use (Or something like that, looked like a fresh ubuntu install section of the keyboard settings)
    Because the repos say 20.04 now (I missed that, thanks for point it out), and last week he had 18.04, that seems relevant.

But we don't know. I posted my VM XML stuff for the machine types and keyboard so that Heeter could check his. Haven't see any response on that.

If my email server couldn't receive email for 1 day, I'd be freaking out. If it was work related, my boss would be freaking out. Long ago, I decided to use an email gateway system which isn't overly complex and can be spun up almost anywhere in 30 minutes that would at least capture inbound email, even if we couldn't read it or reply. Store and forward, eventually is a good thing rather than having clients see bounced emails, IMHO. That's what I suggested in post #2 above. That would be my first suggestion. I run the email gateway in an LXD container, so the overhead is small. To be fair, I moved it from a full VM about a month ago. So far, so good. The only down side is that getting the ipset firewall rules working inside lxd needed some extra manual care. Something related to it being a container. I think it is sorted now, but ipset does kick out kernel errors.

After email receipt is possible, then time is available to setup a proper email server. Doubt I can help with that. We've been running Zimbra since 2008. It is huge and a hog - more than MS-Exchange, but I'm addicted to the enterprise features provided. OTOH, no way would I put Zimbra directly on the internet. Access is only possible via the email-gateway for in/out SMTP or by using out VPN for user access either for SMTPS, IMAPS or webmail. No VPN. No access. Period.

Anyway, that is my thought process. Could be wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    From the terminal output you showed us
    Code:
    root@serv:/home/adminpc# lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
    Description:	Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
    Release:	20.04
    Codename:	focal
    it appears that you are already using 20.04, the latest LTS version available, so your inability to boot the VMs is not related to that, unless it is a symptom of moving from 18.04 to 20.04 at some point in the past.
    Do you know when you upgraded, or is that all hidden in a mysterious past that you can't remember?
    Ugh, don't understand when server took update, it was 18LTS just yesterday morning honestly. There was a bunch of updates that were being held back, but opened up for install yesterday. So I am even more baffled

Mailserver vm has been down since last week, ran out of time today people waiting for me, have the weekend to fix this.

I cannot find a dedicated qemu forums to ask there about this.

Code:
    root@serv:/home/adminpc# virsh start mailserv
    error: Failed to start domain mailserv
    error: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2021-10-02T02:31:06.031257Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: MSR(48FH).vmx-exit-load-perf-global-ctrl [bit 12]
    2021-10-02T02:31:06.031340Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: MSR(490H).vmx-entry-load-perf-global-ctrl [bit 13]
    2021-10-02T02:31:06.033554Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: MSR(48FH).vmx-exit-load-perf-global-ctrl [bit 12]
    2021-10-02T02:31:06.033574Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: MSR(490H).vmx-entry-load-perf-global-ctrl [bit 13]
    2021-10-02T02:31:06.067380Z qemu-system-x86_64: -vnc 0.0.0.0:0: could not read keymap file: 'en-us'
    root@serv:/home/adminpc#
    Thank you all, for helping me and responding with ideas, I truly appreciate it.

Regards
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 2nd, 2021 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thank you for all your help guys

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123