Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why updates

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Why updates

@grahammechanical :

Don't get het up. Misunderstandings can be cleared, and beginners have questions. I myself was one a couple of years ago.
    Although you're in London, I presume you appreciate a Single Malt. Sit down, and enjoy one right now.

Cheers.

Beans

I guess I'm an odd one because the first thing I do in the morning when I sit down in front of my desktop computer is to open the terminal and check for any updates and if there are any updates I install them.

Checking and installing updates takes but a minute or so and I've never paid any attention as to how many updates are installed.

I figure the developers know what they are doing (trusting soul ain't I) so if there's a bunch of updates that come on a regular bases there must be a good reason for them.

Have a Great Day.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not an odd one at all, unless I am also an odd one because that is exactly what I also do. I have even removed the unattended-update package from my machines so I have control of the timing of upgrades rather than leave it to the system.

Beans

Is getting updates a... Bad thing? "oh no my software being improved and bug fixes are being applied to my system"... Why post a question? Am I missing something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well, the answer is simple. if your system is not updated, the smart hacker guys know who to target.
    You might think you have nothing to lose unless you really lose.

Updates usually bring bug fixes, which may bring down your frustration of using a buggy software application, security patches which may keep your system and your identity safe, etc. etc.
    But, it is always in your hand to update or not! You may choose to stop the updates being installed on your machine or even choose what to update and what to skip.

Peace.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sanman770 View Post
    Why so many???????
    This maybe for your Linux Ubuntu Operating System security purposes or its a hardware and software communication fixes.
    and As what QIII said
    Because :
    1. They were updates to the kernel or ...
    2. They were improvements to the OS or ...
    3. They were security updates or ...
    4. Application developers made changes/fixes/updates or ...
    5. Etc
    This is not Microsoft's world where changes are gathered up until they decide to release them.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12