Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: 3D Acceleration in ATI Mobility Radeon M6 LY (and possibly others)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO: 3D Acceleration in ATI Mobility Radeon M6 LY (and possibly others)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2687 View Post
    ^Remove the GLCore extension.

Why don't you use the "radeon" driver instead of the "ati" driver?

The bustype PCI thing disables AGP mode so all the other agp options are kind of pointless....
    Two excellent points... I'll try them out myself.

Everyone who has followed this HOWTO and has hardware acceleration: please try changing the option "Driver" under the section "Device" from "ati" to "radeon" and report results.

Edit: LOL... Rob2687, you are mistaken. The HOWTO already asks people to use the "radeon" driver. The other point is also invalid. AGPSize clearly affects my card, since when I reduce AGPSize to 16 Scorched3D loses its terrain textures and NeverBall's title and sometimes menu items become solid shapes with gradients.
    Last edited by javaJake; September 18th, 2006 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Matyy View Post
    I just followed this HOWTO - before I tried different things, I tried the 'radeon' driver. Same thing.
    You can try removing "GLCore" from the xorg.conf, but I think this disables OpenGL....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have exactly the same problem with a laptop that has an RV350 chip. Both laptops had breezy installed and were than upgraded. I will try more tomorrow...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It seems to work on my ATi Radeon Mobility M7 LW (AGP) (ChipID = 0x4c57).
    Thanks for the HOWTO .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Matyy View Post
    I have exactly the same problem with a laptop that has an RV350 chip. Both laptops had breezy installed and were than upgraded. I will try more tomorrow...
    Hmmmm... I don't know what to say. GLCore is an Xorg module that should come with Ubuntu, I think... correct me if I'm wrong.

This could mean only one thing, in my opinion - corrupt Xorg installation. Please contact others before assuming this is it. I have very little knowledge about GLCore, unfortunately. (Education is welcome. )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by n00b@linux View Post
    It seems to work on my ATi Radeon Mobility M7 LW (AGP) (ChipID = 0x4c57).
    Thanks for the HOWTO .
    Glad to hear this!

Did your computer start crashing randomly after you followed Part I? If not, try removing/changing the options marked "More stable this way". They are usually extra features that are disabled to make things more stable.

If you say yes to the above option, I will add your card to the "Cards that Work in this HOWTO" section at the top.

Beans

I have an inspiron 5000 laptop with an "ATI Technologies, Inc. Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x" chip-- note my investigation so far has revealed this is actually a Mach64 chip. I have installed edgy knot 3 and can't get 3d acceleration. The native resolution of the LCD is 1400x1050 and my default depth is set to 16. If I try to start x with this resolution, I get the Static buffer allocation failed. I dropped down to 800x600 and no longer get that error but I get other errors:
    Code:
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1 (No such device or address)
    drmOpenDevice: Open Failed
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: Open Failed
    [drm] failed to load kernel module "Mach64"
    I've tried modprobing the module, but that doesn't work (not found).
    I've tried compiling my own mach64 module, but that errors with a "'struct page' has no member named 'count' "-- I've seen where other ppl have this same error with 2.6.x but I haven't found a resolution. Does anybody have any ideas how I can get 3d accereration going here?

Also are the "RADEON" drivers from the gatos project? Are "ATI" the proprietary drivers and "MESA" the open drivers? Any help would be appreciated.
    TIA
    Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by PowerRanger View Post
    I have an inspiron 5000 laptop with an "ATI Technologies, Inc. Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x" chip-- note my investigation so far has revealed this is actually a Mach64 chip.
    Actually, there is a HOWTO for your specific card: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=7200

Enjoy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

following this guide requires that I upgrade some packages to the edgy version. whats the risk of doing that, and can I easily undo it? It seems to install a lot of packages
    Your video ipod will work with Amarok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by jms830 View Post
    following this guide requires that I upgrade some packages to the edgy version. whats the risk of doing that, and can I easily undo it? It seems to install a lot of packages
    Answer #1: Well, everyone else here hasn't had any issues. I've been using this ever since this HOWTO was first made, which is at least a month. Statistically, it is unlikely you'll run into any issues.

Answer #2: You cannot easily undo it. You can downgrade, but that is definately NOT recommended! It would be better to reinstall.

If you are worried about losing your stuff, here's what I'd do: back up your home directory (including hidden files), make the plunge, and see what happens. I'd rather try to get 3D acelleration!

Let me know what you decide to do.

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast