Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: 3D Acceleration in ATI Mobility Radeon M6 LY (and possibly others)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO: 3D Acceleration in ATI Mobility Radeon M6 LY (and possibly others)

Quote Originally Posted by Efrain Valles View Post
    but I am not going through with the edgy upgrade. I don't know if all the flashy stuff will make my machine a wounded turtle...
    Tell you what, I'll let you know by way of PM what went wrong, and how I fixed it, so you can have a nice stable Edgy machine.

Beans

OK, thanks javaJake for your attention....

I'm only 1 month with Ubuntu-linux, and my knowledge is far away to be good . I've resolved maaaaany problems in my PII-350 Mhz PC, with Win-dong (my AGP port go to Heaven, after disconnect graphic card with the computer TURNED ON, and PCI (not PCI express) cards,yes, (they already exists), doesn't work so fine (8 MB+Win-dong XP PRO), but finally I did it.

But I don't know why I can't install beryl, and get working with it... in my girlfriend's PC...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by javaJake View Post
    I've been trying to get this to work, but I get the "no-window-border" affect, as I call it. It apparently can be fixed (I didn't install what I was supposed to).

I will be updating this HOWTO with Xinerama and MergedFB support. After that I hope to work on one of those fancy window managers. If you want, you can help me... there's so many choices (AIGLX, Compiz, Beryl) that I don't know where to begin.
    Ah, so it's possible to get XGL on this card! All hope is not lost Beryl seems to be the more popular choice recently, but I'll start looking at other options. Will keep you updated if things go well

Quote Originally Posted by javaJake View Post
    I hope you read the "Important Stuff to Read" section. In there I mentioned that, when I tried Edgy Knot 1 (OK, so that's old, but it should be a pretty good indication, right?) things were not happy.

Can you explain your problem and solution so I can stick this in the troubleshooting section at the bottom of the HOWTO? I'm slightly confused about what your problem was, and what is fixed now.
    Oh that would be my fault I guess. I didn't realize that not all Radeon Mobility models work with fglrx and tried installing it, after which the xserver wouldn't boot or would freeze constantly even after changing back to radeon. It worked fine once I removed fglrx. Good lesson learnt!

Beans

Ok .. I have been plying around wih settings and I notices this...

Xlib extension missing?????

valles@voices:~$ glxinfo | grep direct
    Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
    direct rendering: No
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
    valles@voices:~$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It Works In Edgy... Barely
    It crashes a ton, however, so everyone has three options:

• Upgrade to Edgy, and just use default configuration - without 3D
    • Upgrade to Edgy, and use 3D config - it might crash a lot!
    • Stick with Dapper.

I am working on this constantly, as it is about as important to me as everyone else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ok .. I have been plying around wih settings and I notices this...

Xlib extension missing?????

valles@voices:~$ glxinfo | grep direct
    Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
    direct rendering: No
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
    valles@voices:~$
    Did you upgrade to Edgy? If so, this error is very strange... DRI modules come with Edgy.

Try installing the following packages, restarting X after each installation. (I sorted the packages from most likely to least likely to help.)

Code:
    xlibmesa-dri
    xlibmesa-gl
    xlibmesa-glu

Beans

to install those paquages do I have to be in edgy...
    No ... I didn´t upgrade to edgy.... I only got that error message trying different depths... 16, 15 so on and so forth... but I remember getting that error alot befor when using the radeon driver and trying to do get accel...
    way back in hoary...

I will try installing those packages and see....

Beans

the packages are not in the repositories for Drapper... they must be edgy then...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

the packages are not in the repositories for Drapper... they must be edgy then...
    The fact that you are getting it, and I'm not, and we are using identical computers says something, I dare say. It says "you need to reinstall". I'm fairly certain your installation has been shoved around a lot, since you've tried so many HOWTOs. Try reinstalling, and then punch in this HOWTO again.

Unfortunately I cannot think of anything else.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hello,

i don't really know if i'm right here, but i've read all the pages and maybe somebody could help me with my problem.

problem: direct rendering doesn't work...
    my system: edgy... (upgraded from dapper upgraded from breezy)
    my graphics adapter: ati mobility radeon 9000 (M9) with 64mb ram
    driver: i want to get open source radeon driver running

here my xorg.conf: http://www.ubuntuusers.de/paste/4867/
    here my Xorg.0.log: http://www.ubuntuusers.de/paste/4868/

and the output of glxinfo: http://www.ubuntuusers.de/paste/4869/

enabling "GLcore" in the xorg.conf caused X-restart on glxinfo or glxgears... that's why i disabled it.

ps: the fglrx driver was running but i want to get running aigxl and i need the radeon driver for this...

i hope, someone could help me...

thank you very much!

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast