Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: 3D Acceleration in ATI Mobility Radeon M6 LY (and possibly others)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO: 3D Acceleration in ATI Mobility Radeon M6 LY (and possibly others)

Quote Originally Posted by Efrain Valles View Post
    I changed to radeon an Still no luck... I changed it after I posted my xorg... no rendereringyet... the computer hasn't crashed yet... thoughh...
    I haven't forgotten you, and will get down to troubleshooting your card later today, after KAOZ23's card is troubleshooted (he got here first ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

KAOZ23, unfortunately my card ran just fine with your configuration. Without any errors from logs, either on my side or yours, I can't do anything. You could try removing every resolution above 1024x768, and try that, but I doubt that'll work.

Your case is closed, unless you have any errors that might help. Sorry. Try contacting people who appear to have Radeon 7000 working on their machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I changed to radeon an Still no luck... I changed it after I posted my xorg... no rendereringyet... the computer hasn't crashed yet... thoughh...
    OK, this is really wierd. Your xorg.conf file checked out on my system, but it is almost exactly like mine, down to mice and keyboard configurations! Do you by any chance have a Compaq 1700 laptop?

Anyway, yea, the fact that your xorg.conf file checked out is not good - it means I've just run out of ideas, short of you either reinstalling to get a clean system, or you upgrading your DRI modules (Part II of HOWTO).

If you do have a Compaq 1700 laptop, then there's good news - it's 99.9% likely that we can get this to work, just a matter of how.

Beans

I do have a compaq t1700 ... and it has been my loyal friend... it does not do aceel ... shall I go with step 2.... ???

eff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I do have a compaq t1700 ... and it has been my loyal friend... it does not do aceel ... shall I go with step 2.... ???

eff
    Compaq, I heard, has the best Linux laptop driver support. The video card needed this fix that I mentioned in this HOWTO, but that's ATI's fault, really.

I'd say go for Step 2. If that doesn't work, what I recommend is you reinstall your system upgrading to Edgy in the process when Edgy is released. It should work! I know it should!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Attention Users Who Have Successfully Used this HOWTO

I will be upgrading to Edgy later this week to get ahead the official release, so I can prepare this HOWTO for Edgy. If you like to adventure out into the unkown, and know how to use Google's and these forums' search functions to your advantage, then go for it! It's likely this HOWTO will work anyway.

Beans

Well. could you post your xorg... so that I can see it. maybe something is wrong... we dafinetely have the same laptop...

but I am not going through with the edgy upgrade. I don't know if all the flashy stuff will make my machine a wounded turtle... .. I'm getting a beautifull hp compaq intel video card... wish me luck....

Eff

thanks for getting me off the vesa driver...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well. could you post your xorg... so that I can see it. maybe something is wrong... we dafinetely have the same laptop...
    I've uploaded my xorg.conf. It's got some edits that I've commented out (I tried to use Compiz) so you have to kind of see beyond those. Once you remove those commented out parts, you'll find our configuration is almost exactly the same! I'd say you could just replace yours with mine!

Edit: I forgot to upload the attachment. I haven't ever remembered to upload an attachment until after I make the post.

xorg.conf.3D is my xorg configuration.
    xorg.conf.diff is the difference between my configuration and yous (once you strip the extra commented parts).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by javaJake; October 25th, 2006 at 11:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Does Compiz/XGL works on the Compaq 17xx for you guys? I've tried out Beryl a few days ago, but it doesn't seem to render correctly (showing just a black screen with weird color artifacts while moving my mouse around). :/

Oddly enough I got direct rendering working a few days ago on mine, but after yesterday's Edgy update everything seems to be broken. Maybe I need to try going through the guide again and see what happens.

Edit: Woot! Had to remove the fglrx packages that I was trying out earlier, at least glxinfo no longer crashes now.
    Last edited by zanglang; October 26th, 2006 at 06:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by zanglang View Post
    Does Compiz/XGL works on the Compaq 17xx for you guys? I've tried out Beryl a few days ago, but it doesn't seem to render correctly (showing just a black screen with weird color artifacts while moving my mouse around). :/
    I've been trying to get this to work, but I get the "no-window-border" affect, as I call it. It apparently can be fixed (I didn't install what I was supposed to).

I will be updating this HOWTO with Xinerama and MergedFB support. After that I hope to work on one of those fancy window managers. If you want, you can help me... there's so many choices (AIGLX, Compiz, Beryl) that I don't know where to begin.

Oddly enough I got direct rendering working a few days ago on mine, but after yesterday's Edgy update everything seems to be broken. Maybe I need to try going through the guide again and see what happens.
    I hope you read the "Important Stuff to Read" section. In there I mentioned that, when I tried Edgy Knot 1 (OK, so that's old, but it should be a pretty good indication, right?) things were not happy.

Edit: Woot! Had to remove the fglrx packages that I was trying out earlier, at least glxinfo no longer crashes now.
    Can you explain your problem and solution so I can stick this in the troubleshooting section at the bottom of the HOWTO? I'm slightly confused about what your problem was, and what is fixed now.

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast