Thread: Accessing Reolink security camera on Ubuntu.

Beans

Question Accessing Reolink security camera on Ubuntu.

I am trying to access a Reolink RLC-410W security camera on my Ubuntu Mate 21.04 computer. The normal way would be to use a web browser, but Firefox and Chrome block Adobe Flash which is needed for the web browser access. Reolink has clients for Windows, Macintosh, and Android, but not Linux. I've tried using the instructions for VLC, but I get an error message. I may be doing something wrong or need a plug-in that I'm not aware of. I also don't know if there are any Linux applications I could use. I've searched, but I've come up with nothing. This is a relatively new security camera.

Beans

Re: Accessing Reolink security camera on Ubuntu.

I found a suggestion online to try MPlayer. That actually worked. I could never figure out why VLC was refusing to access the camera. Actually, all I really wanted to do was view my security camera on my computer. I can use the app on my phone to control it more. I can actually use a web browser to change the settings. I just can't view the video because it's Adobe Flash. It records in H264, so I don't get it.

Beans

Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if they can suggest something now that flash is dead...?

Beans

They provide an app for Android, Windows, and Mac. Not Linux. I doubt they'll ever give support to Linux. I was hoping there was a solution for Ubuntu that could be downloaded. VLC gives me an error. Apparently, I'm supposed to turn off Windows Defender. (Bangs head against the wall.) Something about ownership of the file. I couldn't find any info on how to access the SD card in the camera over a network. MPlayer partially works, but the video is corrupted. There's a solution in VLC, but I can't find an equivalent in MPlayer. I guess I can use an obsolete Android box to view the camera on my TV, but I don't see why I can't just use my computer.

Beans

Standard definition works better with MPlayer, so I'll just do that. No need to make this over complicated.