Thread: How do I install an older kernel on Ubuntu 21.10

Beans

How do I install an older kernel on Ubuntu 21.10

Dell Latitude 7280 Intel® Core™ i5-7300U CPU @ 2.60GHz × 4

I began experiencing a kernel panic when Ubuntu upgraded to Kernel Linux 5.11.0-86-generic x86_64 a couple of months ago, and I was able to install the older kernel - I do not remember and I wiped it out installing Ubuntu 21.10. In the meantime, I had dual-boot (backup OS) installed Mint 20. and it has Kernel Linux 5.4.0-86-generic x86_64, which works.

Ubuntu 21.10 only has a few kernels in synaptic, 5.11 and 5.13.

How can I install an older kernel on Ubuntu 21.10?

It takes about ten minutes until the kernel panic, so I can do some installation work.
    Last edited by cyberhiker001; September 26th, 2021 at 08:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How do I install an older kernel on Ubuntu 21.10

Thread moved to Ubuntu Development Version. which is more appropriate and a better fit for this thread.

Don't forget 21.10 is still in development and not yet released so potential problems can still be anticipated, even though it's not too far away from being released.

Please run command
    Code:
    inxi -Fzx
    to give us a lot more information on both your hardware and software.
    Please use Code-Tags for terminal output as it makes that output much more easily read and understood, formatting the text as seen in terminal, not as plain text when it is copied and pasted. See my signature below for a How-to

Beans

Well, things didn't go so well. The cursor did not show up. I brought up a terminal and installed the INXS package and ran it, and it gave me a readout, but I did not know how to copy it without a cursor or arrow controls. Things may still be too buggy for my machine. If you have any way for me to get the info, I'll try, otherwise, I'll wait until the end of the month and try again with the stable release.

Beans

A quick look around this board seems to indicate there are some similar problems. So, I am content to wait for the stable release. This is the first time I have tried an early Beta release. I'm using Mint - it is like an older desktop version of Ubuntu - it will do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhiker001 View Post
    Well, things didn't go so well. The cursor did not show up. I brought up a terminal and installed the INXS package and ran it, and it gave me a readout, but I did not know how to copy it without a cursor or arrow controls. Things may still be too buggy for my machine. If you have any way for me to get the info, I'll try, otherwise, I'll wait until the end of the month and try again with the stable release.
    I suggest you login using Xorg, not Wayland (which is the default). See if that makes a difference for the cursor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhiker001 View Post
    In the meantime, I had dual-boot (backup OS) installed Mint 20. and it has Kernel Linux 5.4.0-86-generic x86_64, which works.
    If you explore this site http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/20.04.1/, you can find older Ubuntu ISO images together with a manifest of packages.

Ubuntu 20.04.1 has Kernel 5.4.0-42.

Maybe worth a look?

Beans

Thanks - I'll try that