Thread: LXQT Can't Mount "File" Problem

Beans

LXQT Can't Mount "File" Problem

I have an Ubuntu Samba server running 20.04.3, which has worked well for me for many years. Because there are some functions that I prefer to use a gui, I have installed LXQT 0.14.1 as a lightweight desktop. I meets my needs except for one annoyance. I can not access three of my four internal drives, which are the Samba shares. When I select the drive in the file manager, I get this message: "Can't Mount file."

Now after trying to update LXQT, one of my four samba drives has appeared under devices. I can also access this under computer in the file manager. I have always been able to access external usb drives. The log in credentials are the same. How do I get the other three to show up and be accessed?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: LXQT Can't Mount "File" Problem

There's some misunderstanding here. PCManFM-Qt, which is the Lubuntu file manager is not there to do disk management.
    Your disks are mounted somewhere in your file system, finding out where is done by using the terminal command lsblk.

Then you can use the file manager to visit the directories where the disks are mounted.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I always `mount` (or at least ready the mount and use the `noauto` option) via the file-system table (`/etc/fstab`) entry; then I find it easier to deal with, but I'd also not perform mounts (of network shared devices) via `pcmanfm-qt`.

`pcmanfm-qt` will mount local devices (USB drives etc)

The aim of LXQt is in the first letter; ie. being light. Adding extra non-essential functionality works against the light purpose - so unless it's a necessary feature needed by most users, it won't usually be added (esp. where outside of the intentions of the program)
    Last edited by guiverc; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:02 AM. Reason: add LXQt light aim paragraph (an afterthought)

Beans

Maybe I am confused. I am not trying to do disk management with PCManFM-Qt. I am just trying to see what's in the folders, as I can do with external usb drives. Earlier today, one of the drives mounted, but when I rebooted, it disappeared.

Using lsblk, the four drives mount point is /samba/drivename. The external drive is mounted under /media.

But, you give me a clue. I installed Nautilus under LXQT. Added the other drives from the other locations, and now they show up in both PCManFM-Qt and Nautilus. Not sure how that fixed the problem. Now we will see what happens when I reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

The `mount` itself needs to be done, before `pcmanfm-qt` will use it (the mount function is disk management)

In your final paragraph, it sounds like you used `nautilus` to perform the `mount`, which then allowed `pcmanfm-qt` to use it. `pcmanfm-qt` will only mount local drives