Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to install programs in a good way?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Where to install programs in a good way?

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Let's do this another way. What applications are you thinking about installing to other locations?
    That is a very good question because, as you will have gathered from replies we have already given you, there is normally no choice of where to install applications; they are automatically installed by the package manager into the file system where they must be for them to work.

I have almost nothing installed manually into places chosen by me when installing them except for one or two that I run directly as appimage installations which are in my home folder/partition, such as musescore.

Where you decide to put any shell scripts will depend entirely on what they are, where they came from and what they're going to be used for; I have many personal scripts in the /bin folder in my home which means they are in the system $PATH so can be called simply by their name in terminal.

Beans

Yeah just sounds like a weird question probably coming from Windows where you can choose the location of the files. Linux puts things where they are needed and the folder structure is very purposeful. Libs and so on are stored where needed, once, and loaded into RAM once, and referenced as many times as needed.
    You only really get applications outside of this with snaps and flatpack etc but they install where they need to go as well.
    Some people like to manually install applications like OpenOffice and people do tend to put them in /opt but this is outside of the Ubuntu package system so you will need to manually update these yourself. I used to work at a place that used WingFTP where the update was part of patching but it wasn't a deb and the "upgrade" was to extract the archive over the top of the standing data to update files... Awful.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Use the package manager for everything. Don't try customizing the organization of the system. It's not worth it, and it can break things.

There are few programs that aren't available from the Ubuntu repositories. If you want to install Zoom, you need to download the .deb file from zoom.us/download and install it manually. Pretty much everything else I run comes from the repositories.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12