Thread: new system, live install runs in safe graphics mode, but doesn't launch after reboot

Beans

new system, live install runs in safe graphics mode, but doesn't launch after reboot

Hello, I'm trying to install kubuntu 21.04 on a brand new system. I am able to run the live install from a USB image via Safe graphics mode (the normal installation does not launch) but when launching the error "VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting". Everything I tested apart from graphics work during the live install.

After running the install the errors in the second image are displayed, and the screen becomes stuck at the third image. If I then force a reboot with the power button it again gets stuck at the MAG screen.

This is my first time using linux, so any help is appreciated

CPU ryzen 7 3700x
    GPU 6600 xt
    MOBO b550 tomahawk
    STORAGE 2x kingston 2500 ssd
    OS kubuntu 21.04
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: new system, live install runs in safe graphics mode, but doesn't launch after reb

First check with your motherboard vendor that your firmware is up-to-date. Maybe some kernel param is necessary, like acpi=0 to boot, then install any proprietary (video?) drivers. Try the latest kernel available, maybe the beta of 21.10 (5.14?) If nothing else works, maybe refine the acpi_xx to some thing like acpi=ht.

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: new system, live install runs in safe graphics mode, but doesn't launch after reb

The second batch of error messages seem to imply that you have bad partitioning (very unlikely, the installer would detect that).
    More likely is, that you have a defective disk/SSD.
    You seem to have two SSDs. Could you swap them to test?

Beans

Also, check the SSD firmware for available updates too.

Beans

I went to try the install onto the 2nd SSD, and while booting I got another error in addition to the VGACON error, 'failed to unmount cd[...]'. The rest went the same as last time, same errors after finishing the install.

Beans

Okay, started the download for Kubuntu 21.10.

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    If nothing else works, maybe refine the acpi_xx to some thing like acpi=ht.
    How would I do that?

And since both my CPU and GPU are AMD shouldn't I have all the needed drivers already in the Linux system?

Beans

The BIOS version does seem to be outdated, that's what Ill try next

Beans

Thank you ubfan1, updating the bios and installing ver. 21.10 solved my problem, and it installed succesfully.