Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended way to mass deploy Ubuntu desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Recommended way to mass deploy Ubuntu desktop

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08 View Post
    I don't think I'm sending any apple solution here. It was a link from help Ubuntu website. sorry am I mislaying here?
    powerpc is a CPU architecture, like ARM, x86_64, MIPS, Itanium, Alpha/AXP. It isn't a typical Windows-like hardware in a PC. While some AIX servers and workstations were built using it, so where Apples, before they changed to Intel x86_64 CPUs. I think we can still buy Power-based systems from IBM, but I haven't since around 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PO...essors#Power10 shows that the CPU is built on a 7nm process and released in 2021. My experience was with Power4 and Power5 CPUs. It was amazing what $2500 could get in a workstation.

The M1 Apple CPU has taken over Macs in the last year.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I didn't want to answer before... Because I know of "too many" choices to mass deploy, still open for this. I didn't want to muddy up what other's had said and started.

My choices:

1. PXE boot to deploy images from your deployment server. I use Fog Server... Kickstart-like, but with a whole lot of bells an whistles.
    2. FAI- Fully Automatic Installation. It is a tool for unattended mass deployment of Linux.
    3. If you are still using the debian installer, then Preseed files. If you are using the new Live Installer, then Live Installer scripts. You can still use either with 20.04. 22.04 will be the Live Installer. (This used to be referred as the Ubuntu Deployment toolkit.)
    4. MAAS Server. Meant to provide cloud types of provisioning for physical servers, but can be used for workstations.
    5. Net install to a local server (TFTP Server)... This is Kickstart)

I could go on...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    powerpc is a CPU architecture, like ARM, x86_64, MIPS, Itanium, Alpha/AXP. It isn't a typical Windows-like hardware in a PC. While some AIX servers and workstations were built using it, so where Apples, before they changed to Intel x86_64 CPUs. I think we can still buy Power-based systems from IBM, but I haven't since around 2008.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PO...essors#Power10 shows that the CPU is built on a 7nm process and released in 2021. My experience was with Power4 and Power5 CPUs. It was amazing what $2500 could get in a workstation.
    The M1 Apple CPU has taken over Macs in the last year.
    Thanks a lot for the information TheFu. This helps me a lot. Thanks for sharing. It was really a brilliant information.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the information TheFu. This helps me a lot. Thanks for sharing. It was really a brilliant information.
    I'd found that link too and skipped over the "powerpc" part as well. As I was skimming it, something just seemed a little off and different from my experience - then it clicked - Apple! I did a different search and found the links that I eventually posted.

BTW, I setup a quick batch install (as I said above) and it worked. I did an xubuntu install and that worked too. The trick in my method following the quick-guide was to provide the minimal boot stuff at machine boot and have it get the full ISO from NFS. I'm not a fan of using tftp. tftp has zero security and is easily hacked.

MAFoElffen's post is real-world, hands-on stuff. Since my setup is under 20 systems in a single building, the effort to go with some of those just isn't worth the effort. The OP never said the number of systems or any logistical information, so we don't know if a 10 min of effort answer or a 2-person, full-time, for a month, is reasonable. I've had to deploy 25K laptops at work before. We ended up using FedEx and shipping the systems to the vendor for re-imagining when they broke. Our image was applied before they were delivered to our 1200+ locations as well. Because they were field, hardened, laptops, the systems would get abused. A few got run over by trucks after being left on the roof of a vehicle - that was the story. We'd ordered 10% more than needed just to be available for swaps while systems were being fixed after breaking.

Anyway, there are lots of ways to address these things. Desktops in a school are different from 10K desktops in a University and those are different from 50K desktops in 10 countries around the world. Getting the image deployed really isn't the hardest part. Keeping them patched, secured, maintained, and preventing "stupid user tricks" is harder, IME. At least with Linux, most of those things aren't nearly so hard when they are networked. Anyone who has tried to patch that "other desktop OS" knows how nearly impossible it is. 50% of the problem is actually getting them patched. The other 50% is being able to report accurately that they ARE actually patched. We hopped to have 90% of the systems patched within 7 days of a new patch being pushed. Sounds easy, right? Users do unexpected things, even when you remind them "don't turn off your PC tonight". 50% will anyway. Hard to patch a system that isn't on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

MAFoElffen's post is real-world, hands-on stuff. Since my setup is under 20 systems in a single building, the effort to go with some of those just isn't worth the effort. The OP never said the number of systems or any logistical information, so we don't know if a 10 min of effort answer or a 2-person, full-time, for a month, is reasonable. I've had to deploy 25K laptops at work before. We ended up using FedEx and shipping the systems to the vendor for re-imagining when they broke. Our image was applied before they were delivered to our 1200+ locations as well. Because they were field, hardened, laptops, the systems would get abused. A few got run over by trucks after being left on the roof of a vehicle - that was the story. We'd ordered 10% more than needed just to be available for swaps while systems were being fixed after breaking.
    What a great and amazing experience. I like it. This is not an ordinary. I haven't encounter this experience yet in Linux. I mean it, I start to learn computing using other OS the common one the MS OS and I experienced a lot. I did not deny it. But when I encountered the Linux when I was still in school way back when I'm in college 20 years ago maybe, I was amaze with Linux Red Hat that time. My experience of Linux is very different from the other OS. It was exactly 101% turned around. with full total package that other side OS can't overrate it. By the way it was very cool. And thank you too for sharing new ideas to the post. I mean it, It help a lot TheFu.

Anyway, there are lots of ways to address these things. Desktops in a school are different from 10K desktops in a University and those are different from 50K desktops in 10 countries around the world. Getting the image deployed really isn't the hardest part. Keeping them patched, secured, maintained, and preventing "stupid user tricks" is harder,
    You are exactly right TheFu. This is actually depends to the end users. The users can make it better or brake it in just a few blink of an eye. It will totally messed up.

Anyone who has tried to patch that "other desktop OS" knows how nearly impossible it is. 50% of the problem is actually getting them patched. The other 50% is being able to report accurately that they ARE actually patched. We hopped to have 90% of the systems patched within 7 days of a new patch being pushed. Sounds easy, right? Users do unexpected things, even when you remind them "don't turn off your PC tonight". 50% will anyway. Hard to patch a system that isn't on.
    hahahaha Also this one, this actually on the end users. We can't just say that it was their fault its just that they just don't know what they have done. And its actually very important things to do.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

I believe you might be looking for this: https://landscape.canonical.com/
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I believe you might be looking for this: https://landscape.canonical.com/
    No, that comes later - after installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ok, I've tried preseed - and ended up with additional questions: Install extra packages with preseed

Any takers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have looked at that post/thread... and asked which of the two threads should I try to explain this...

I think you deserve an explanation of how it works. That will not work with just creating the file. (I guess that from your other comments there.) It will not work with the graphical installer. There is a way that you have to tell it to use the file, from within the text mode of the installers.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 16th, 2021 at 10:23 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yeah, continuing this in the other thread Install extra packages with preseed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12