Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot Kubuntu 21.04

Beans

Dual Boot Kubuntu 21.04

I have been trying for the last week or so to install Kubuntu 21.04 on my Windows 10 Dell XPS 9550.(See device details below.)

This is my first attempt at setting up a dual boot, and I have been having some issues thus far. Currently I am stuck with the following error,
    Code:
    Cannot open root device "nvme0n1p6" or unknow block.....
    after running the boot-repair from Boot-Repair - Community Help Wiki (ubuntu.com).
    Please see the boot-repair summary. Ubuntu Pastebin
    Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Dual Boot Kubuntu 21.04

when does this error show up? did you disable hibernation in windows?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    when does this error show up? did you disable hibernation in windows?
    The error occurs after I select the recovery mode from the Grub menu. Initially it would state the ACPI Bios Error(Image 1) and then after placing acpi=off I would get the error shown in the second image.

Image 1 showing the ACPI error

Image 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Did it boot, before?
    You show you have ext4 partition, so must have changed UEFI from RST/RAID to AHCI.
    But then did Windows do an update to UEFI and change UEFI settings? I might review those again.

Did you update UEFI from Dell?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Did it boot, before?
    It never booted after installation.

You show you have ext4 partition, so must have changed UEFI from RST/RAID to AHCI.
    I found instructions to install Linux on the Dell XPS 9550 which stated that I need to change from RAID to AHCI, which I did.

But then did Windows do an update to UEFI and change UEFI settings? I might review those again.
    Did you update UEFI from Dell?
    I did update the UEFI from DELL just to make sure that wasn't the issue, however I already had the latest install. It still didn't fix the issue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The update to UEFI often resets all UEFI settings to defaults.
    So they may need redoing.

Dell typically needs UEFI update, if SSD also SSD firmware update.
    It needs UEFI setting for drives changed to AHCI, not Intel RST nor RAID. But if dual booting with Windows you must first install AHCI drivers into Windows or it will not boot.
    Often better to have UEFI Secure boot off. And UEFI fast boot off, as that assumes no system changes & you are changing system.
    Newer systems need legacy off to boot in UEFI mode.
    And in Windows you need Windows fast start up off as that sets hibernation flag and then Linux NTFS driver cannot see the NTFS partitions. Note that Windows updates may turn fast start up back on.

Should be similar, but16.04 is now only supported by Canonical with paid support.
    Ubuntu 16 on the DELL XPS15 9550 Tutorial
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2345444
    Dell Xps 15 9550 Ubuntu 15.10 on new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch) post 272 says 16.04 good
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2301071
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post13447241
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

One correction it boots into windows 10 just fine, I can select the Windows boot manager from the Grub menu. Its just doesn't boot into the Linux system, it just shows the message from above.
    Fast boot is off and secure boot is off as well. I would check the forums you linked to see if anything helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Can you boot recovery mode or second line in grub menu, or in sub menu?

Did you install nVidia driver?
    And you cannot change or reinstall different version of nVidia driver without totally purging previous driver or you get conflicts and it does not work.

Beans

Can you boot recovery mode or second line in grub menu, or in sub menu?

Did you install nVidia driver?
    And you cannot change or reinstall different version of nVidia driver without totally purging previous driver or you get conflicts and it does not work.
    I can’t boot into recovery mode. When I try to boot into recovery mode I get the error above. I did not select the option to install any third party drivers, so I don’t have the nVidia drivers. I did this because most of the info I read about installing Linux for the dell xps 9550 suggest not to install those drivers until after installation.

I just did another fresh install,
    I formatted the partitions,
    I deleted the Ubuntu folder from the efi partition
    I merge back the free space back in the main partition
    I then shrink the main partition by 116 gb
    I unselected the option to allow booting from legacy options
    I booted from the usb
    I installed kubuntu with a swap area of 16gb, 30gb for the / partition and 70gb for the /home partition.

I tried to boot normal and I get a blank screen. When I try to boot with the recovery mode all I see is
    Loading Linux 5.11.0-36-generic….
    Loading initial ram disk……

and it sticks there and doesn’t progress further.
    I followed this suggestion to fix the loading issue but it doesn’t help https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Li...Update_Failure

Beans

The Ubuntu developers have had a guide online for years on dual booting with windows 10. See it at the link below and read through it to see if there is anything different in their documentation from what you did. Also, compare the official instructions to what you were told to do in whatever link you used. You might also post that link and someone may see a problem.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Do you have an entry for Kubuntu on the EFI partition? Boot the Kubuntu installer and from a terminal run this command to check: sudo efibootmgr -v
    Might be useful to post that info here. Also, with regard to future use, understand that on some updates, windows will turn hibernation back on. You will not be asked if you want this done nor will you be informed that it is being done so you will manually need to check.

16GB of RAM is excessive unless you hibernate.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast