Thread: Ms teams

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ms teams

MS TEAMS is becoming the "meeting tool" for the industry I consult for. With meetings I have attended with the host company being in the USA, there has not been an apparent problem. However, this morning I was asked to join a meeting hosted by an organization in EU. There was nothing on whatever was loaded that allowed me to mute/unmute the microphone (Logitech headset). Likewise, there was nothing that allowed me to turn on the built-in camera on my Dell laptop. So, what do I need to get my laptop to work correctly with MS TEAMS. OS is Ubuntu 21.04. Browser is Firefox 92.0.

Thank you,

John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ms teams

With Zoom system settings>sound will show new inputs for microphone & speakers. Do you get the same with Teams?

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Isn't there a teams client for Linux now? Have you tried that instead of the browser?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thank you for your replies. Here are the answers to your questions:
    With Zoom system settings>sound will show new inputs for microphone & speakers. Do you get the same with Teams? No. Not with the session generated from an organization based in the EU.

Isn't there a teams client for Linux now? Have you tried that instead of the browser? Yes, I tried both. There was also an added program and an update that I added after the failed TEAMS meeting.

John
    Last edited by QIII; September 22nd, 2021 at 05:28 PM.

Beans

Does the microphone work in sound recorder? Some sound app that comes with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thank you for your reply. The microphone works with Gnome Sound Recorder 40.beta. Looks like a useful tool for recording audio to add to presentation slides. John

Beans

I've used teams for Linux on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I had some issues getting the mic to work. I was able to open a Teams session and test the input and output. I was able to make it work. Sorry I can't remember what I had to do. I have also discovered that on Linux and Windows if there is another application (like Zoom) running and using the mic/speaker/camera it often blocks Teams.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thank you. I have a camera with mic being delivered today. Will try it with a Win 10 machine. John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

There are a couple of issues here. The first is that Synaptic has two version of MS TEAMS. There is "teams" version 1.4.00.13653, which did not work for me and "teams-insiders" version 1.4.00.26453,which did work. In the details of the application as listed in Synaptic, two lines read as follows: 1) This app requires appropriate commercial Office 365 subscription; and 2) If you are not sure about your company's subscription or the services you have access to, please contact your IT department.

For some unknown reason, teams did no like the login I use for Widows 10 Pro and Office 365. I did like one of my business email addresses although I have never used it with any MS product. Also, I am a one-person LLC. However, I got everything installed, and I even passed the MS Teams test that is run by Marquette University. I also set up MS Teams on one of my Win 10 machines. So, the big day comes when I have to participate in an MS Teams meeting. I click on the link provided by the meeting host, an there is no audio and no control of video. Turns out that the link provided by the host organization tried to take over my MS Teams and choked when it that I was already logged in under another name. It took another few hours to get that straightened out. Apparently teams is expecting IT gurus at the host organization and at all organizations participating in the meeting. John