Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can i install ubuntu to a new Disk?

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Can i install ubuntu to a new Disk?

I have 2 Disk. 1 ssd and one Hdd. I have windows 10 on my ssd. I want to completely remove windows and install ubuntu on ssd. Note that all of my personal data will be in my hdd which have 3 partition. I want all the data of my HDD to be intact and remove all data of SSD and fresh install ubuntu whille i will also remove my Windows (os) from my SSD. How to do this. It would be a great help
    Last edited by QIII; September 22nd, 2021 at 01:08 AM. Reason: default color

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can i install ubuntu to a new Disk?

I find it very difficult to read you post because of the unnecessary colours you have chosen to format the text in. So, I will just direct you to these installation guides.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...ows#1-overview

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install...top#1-overview

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubu...etting-started

1) Make sure you load the USB memory stick with Ubuntu on in UEFI mode
    2) Select the Erase Disk and install Ubuntu option
    3) Disconnect the hard drive first just in case you choose the hard drive instead of the SSD.
    4) Think very carefully about your decision to remove Windows 10. Once it is gone it is more difficult to re-install it than it is to install Ubuntu without removing Windows 10.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I find it very difficult to read you post because of the unnecessary colours you have chosen to format the text in. So, I will just direct you to these installation guides.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...ows#1-overview

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install...top#1-overview

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubu...etting-started

1) Make sure you load the USB memory stick with Ubuntu on in UEFI mode
    2) Select the Erase Disk and install Ubuntu option
    3) Disconnect the hard drive first just in case you choose the hard drive instead of the SSD.
    4) Think very carefully about your decision to remove Windows 10. Once it is gone it is more difficult to re-install it than it is to install Ubuntu without removing Windows 10.

Regards
    All very good advice. It can be handy to have a Windows install just in case. For instance I find myself having to use hardware that there is no foreseeable chance of its working with anything other than Windows. You could use Windows disk tools to shrink the Windows partition if that makes sense. I dual boot and have had no issues. It's simpler to install Ubuntu on a system with Windows already installed than to install Windows afterwards. Windows boot manager will overwrite GRUB and you'd have to re-install GRUB (or something like that). Simpler to install Ubuntu after Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@rookie69 --

Please use the default font and color unless you need to draw attention to a particular part of your post. Even then, I would suggest italics or bold for the sake of those with limited color perception.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks Brother
    Sorry for the trouble

Beans

Yes. Ubuntu can install to a blank drive. I suggest you run a last full backup before you start in case of catastrophe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What is the file system on the partitions of your HDD?

As mentioned by ActionParsnip, do you have a backup of this HDD?

Beans

Sorry to those who find it difficult to read. I'm new to all these
    NO i dont have any backup of hdd as i want my hdd untouched
    I want to install only on my SSD.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by rookie69 View Post
    NO i dont have any backup of hdd as i want my hdd untouched
    We all want our hard drives untouched and working forever, but the truth is that we accidentally touch them and sometimes they just break down. So it's best to have backups anyway.

tea for one asked about the filesystems used on the hard drive. The thing is, Windows uses different filesystems from Linux. Windows uses NTFS or sometimes FAT or exfat. Linux can read and write NTFS (and the others), but can't repair them if damaged, like after unclean shutdown. That means that one shouldn't use Windows filesystems on a computer that only has Linux installed. You can't convert from Windows filesystem to Linux filesystem leaving the files in place. You have to copy the files to a backup location, format the partitions and copy the files back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    We all want our hard drives untouched and working forever, but the truth is that we accidentally touch them and sometimes they just break down. So it's best to have backups anyway.

tea for one asked about the filesystems used on the hard drive. The thing is, Windows uses different filesystems from Linux. Windows uses NTFS or sometimes FAT or exfat. Linux can read and write NTFS (and the others), but can't repair them if damaged, like after unclean shutdown. That means that one shouldn't use Windows filesystems on a computer that only has Linux installed. You can't convert from Windows filesystem to Linux filesystem leaving the files in place. You have to copy the files to a backup location, format the partitions and copy the files back.

Now i get it brother. Thanks xD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast