Thread: Thunderbird 78 now crashes on startup

Beans

Question Thunderbird 78 now crashes on startup

18.04.06 LTS fully updated.

I get the crash reporter when starting thunderbird from gnome.

from the command line i get:

[12130, Main Thread] WARNING: failed to open shm: Permission denied: file /build/thunderbird-xTXOo3/thunderbird-78.13.0+build1/ipc/chromium/src/base/shared_memory_posix.cc, line 246
    ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 12146
    ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
    ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...

then when I close the crash reporter:

phil@phil-desktop:~$ Failed to open curl lib from binary, use libcurl.so instead

I've apt purged and reinstalled, removed the .thunderbird folder and no change. I'm a bit stumped.,

Any ideas?
    Last edited by pabc; September 21st, 2021 at 09:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Thunderbird 78 now crashes on startup

What does "which thunderbird" and "file $(which thunderbird)" reveal? Just to double check whether you do not have another instance of thunderbird installed in another way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    What does "which thunderbird" and "file $(which thunderbird)" reveal? Just to double check whether you do not have another instance of thunderbird installed in another way.
    I'm suspecting an "install" by extracting the tarball....let's see

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

78.13.0 crashed on me today with an out of memory error, which I've never seen before. The suggested RAM for the system is listed as 512MB. The system has 4G and 'free' said just a little over 1G was being used at the time. The system is stable and still running:
    Code:
    $ free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:          3.8Gi       701Mi       1.2Gi       8.0Mi       1.9Gi       2.9Gi
    Swap:         4.1Gi          0B       4.1Gi
    I run thunderbird on a 20.04 system inside a firejail with memory constraints (3.7G limit), using X11 forwarded through an ssh connection to an 18.04 server with a lite-window manager, fvwm. It refused to startup with a 3.5G RAM limit. After the OOM error, I bumped the RAM limit to 4.7G and restarted. Here's the process table entry:
    Code:
    tf        357708  357700  0 09:52 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/firejail --dns=172.22.22.80 --rlimit-as=4700000000 /usr/bin/thunderbird -no-remote
    Only posting because it happened just a few minutes before I saw this thread. May or may not be related. I only have the Canonical repo version of thunderbird.
    On another system here, 18.04, I run TB locally and haven't seen the same issue - or any others recently. It also runs inside a memory constrained firejail.
    Code:
    tf        4265  4264  0 07:50 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/firejail --dns=172.22.22.80 --rlimit-as=3700000000 /usr/bin/thunderbird -no-remote
    rlimit is just a limit on virtual memory.

Beans

sudo apt-get purge thunderbird
    rm -rf ~/.thunderbird
    sudo apt-get install thunderbird

no tarball in site.
    Last edited by pabc; September 21st, 2021 at 09:50 AM.

Beans

/usr/bin/thunderbird

/usr/bin/thunderbird: symbolic link to ../lib/thunderbird/thunderbird.sh