Thread: Unable to boot nor see grub after installing Nvidia drivers and lowlatency kernel

Beans

Unable to boot nor see grub after installing Nvidia drivers and lowlatency kernel

Hi
    I did a clean installation of Ubuntu (Cinnamon Remix) on my brand new Acer laptop. It all went well and I was able to boot to the system and begin configuring it to my needs.
    However, this configuration implied installing all the components of Ubuntustudio (including the lowlatency kernel) and also the Nvidia 470 proprietary driver (since the computer has a dedicated GTX 1650 GPU).
    I guess that, because of one this reasons (most probably Nvidia driver), I can't boot to the system. I get stuck on the "Acer" logo. I can't even access the grub menu.
    I tried to figure how to remove installed software using the USB stick that I used to install the system, but I can't. Is there a way to remove installed software (in this case, Nvidia drivers or lowlatency kernel) without booting into the system (which I can't)?

Beans

Re: Unable to boot nor see grub after installing Nvidia drivers and lowlatency kernel

Well, I managed to get into the system by getting into the grub menu after pressing Esc a few times during he initial boot. Now I'm going to see if I can find what the problem is.
    Desktop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, with Nvidia Geforce 1050Ti graphics; Laptop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on a Intel i5 6200U @2.30 GHz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unable to boot nor see grub after installing Nvidia drivers and lowlatency kernel

Between your two posts, you say both NVidia 1650 and 1050 ti... ?

Mine is NVidia GTX 1650 ti and as such runs best on Kernel 5.11.1, Gnome XServer DE, and the NVidia 760 Server driver. Just saying...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags